The beet tops are large, round leaves with a bright purple spine, slightly curved and wavy. It contains no less nutrients than the root itself. Most often gardeners use beet greens as animal feed, and only a few add it to food. But why not?
Photo: Depositphotos.com Author: ArtCookStudio
Composition and calorie
Beet tops contains valuable substances for humans. Moreover, after heat treatment the leaves retain most of them.
The composition of the tops includes the following vitamins and phytocomponents:
- vitamins A, PP, C, representatives of group B (including folic acid),
- amino acids
- betaine (a derivative of choline).
Macro- and microelements are found in large quantities:
Beet tops - low-calorie diet product. 100 g of raw leaves contains only 40 kcal, 8 g of carbohydrates, 1.5 g of protein and 0.1 g of fat.
Young leaves of beet have a complex healing effect on all organs and systems. We list the key useful properties.
- Improves digestion. Plant has a slight laxative effect, which helps cleanse the body of toxins. Detoxification is also promoted by a high content of insoluble fiber, which as it moves along the intestine, like a sponge, absorbs harmful substances and then removes them from the body.
- Gives rejuvenating effect. Vitamins and minerals contribute to the rapid regeneration and the emergence of new cells, replacing the old ones. Due to this, the rejuvenation mechanism starts at the cellular level: the skin is smoothed, the complexion becomes fresher, and the nails and hair become stronger.
- Carries out the regulation of metabolism. The active ingredients in the composition of the tops accelerate metabolism and help the breakdown of carbohydrates with the subsequent production of energy.
- Heals the heart and blood vessels. The vitamins contained in the leaf, and especially the B vitamins, increase the elasticity of the blood vessels, making them stronger. This significantly reduces the risk of heart attack or stroke.
Harm and contraindications
Unlike carrot tops, there is no evidence that beet tops can cause significant damage to health. But in some states, the use of this non-trivial greenery is contraindicated:
- irritable bowel syndrome (with a tendency to diarrhea) due to laxative effects,
- diseases of the kidneys of infectious and non-infectious nature due to the diuretic effect,
- hepatitis with severe impaired liver function and increased activity of liver enzymes: the beet topper speeds up the metabolism, as a result of which the burden on the diseased liver and gall bladder increases,
- severe hypotension due to the possible action of the antihypertensive properties of the product.
Slimming beet leaves
Beet tops "accelerates" the metabolism, and therefore popular among slimming girls and just those who watch their figure.
It owes these properties to betaine, a highly effective antioxidant found in many fruits and vegetables, especially pineapples and mangoes.
But unlike beets, these products are not familiar to our diet, and therefore the body does not produce the necessary enzymes for their assimilation.
To reduce weight, it is recommended to replace one meal with fresh beetroot salad. At the same time, you can safely add a small amount of fresh grated carrots there and season the dish with greens. Particular attention should be paid to the gas station: it is better to use natural olive oil.
Use in traditional medicine
Beet leaves are effective for a wide range of diseases. But we must not forget that folk recipes should complement official treatment methods. The course is safe to begin only after consulting with your doctor.
Fresh beet topper is effective in the treatment of the following ailments:
- arterial hypertension and other cardiovascular diseases
- various types of anemia,
- disorders of the thyroid gland, etc.
In addition to simple consumption of foliage, traditional medicine offers recipes in which beet greens undergo additional processing for maximum therapeutic effect.
- Constipation. The leaves are finely chopped, poured boiling water (1 tbsp. 1 cup of boiling water is needed) and allowed to infuse for an hour. The resulting infusion is taken before each meal with 50 ml.
- Mastitis. It is necessary to thoroughly wash the tops with your hands so that juice starts to stand out from it. The resulting mass is applied to compacted areas and hold for at least half an hour.
- Migraine. Well-kneaded greens are applied in the form of gauze compresses to the temples or another hotbed of pain. Compresses hold on head for a quarter of an hour.
- Corns and cracks. Mash the tops with a spoon, until all the juice is selected. The resulting liquid is abundantly greased problem areas, wrapped with a bandage and left overnight.
Beet tops used in home cosmetology for the treatment of problem skin:
- relieves irritation
- eliminates rashes,
- accelerates the healing of acne marks.
Mask of carefully crushed leaves applied to the skin, avoiding the area around the eyes.
Tips for choosing
To make the dish quality and healthy, you need to choose the right greens.
- First of all, pay attention to the elasticity of the leaves - a sign of freshness.
- The color of the tops should be dark green.
- Do not take the pale yellowish greens: it is stale and dry.
- The stub should be short and firm.
Prepare beet tops like cabbage or leaf lettuce. It is enough to chop it finely, season and remove excess moisture. If the leaves are bitter, it is recommended to blanch them.
Beet topper is combined with a large number of products: it acquires a refined taste in combination with cucumbers, tomatoes, pumpkin, nuts and pepper.
Fits perfectly with most popular side dishes. It can be safely served with potatoes, pasta, rice. Lovers of sophisticated dishes will love the combination with cilantro, mint or spicy cheese.
Fresh beet leaves should be stored in a refrigerator at a temperature of + 3 ... + 5 ° C.
Preparation for the winter
There are several ways to prepare beet tops for future use. Usually hostesses use:
More useful substances are preserved during freezing and drying, but the most delicious beet leaves are obtained by salting and pickling. However, this food is not recommended for people suffering from gastritis or ulcers.
This drink can not be taken in its pure form, you need to dilute it with boiled water in a 1: 2 ratio. In the same proportion, the healing liquid can be mixed with other vegetable or fruit juices (cabbage or carrot, pumpkin or apple).
At the very beginning of taking beetroot drink is advised to dilute 1 tsp. beet juice in 1 tbsp. water.
If you drink undiluted juice, you can provoke a breakdown of the digestive organs. It is enough to take 0.5 st. diluted juice 3 times a day.
This vegetable is valuable not only the roots, but also juicy tops. They make wonderful vitamin salads, filling pies, botvini, beetroot soup.
The beet plant, the beneficial properties and contraindications of which are known to both experienced culinary specialists and traditional healers, contains a complex of important vitamins and microelements. The composition of this part of the plant is not inferior to the root.
The advantage of beet stalks and leaves is that they can be consumed at the beginning of summer, when the body needs vitamins very much.
Eating beet tops will help:
- normalize weight
- improve cardiovascular function,
- prevent the development of anemia,
- restore full function of the thyroid gland,
- deal with the problem of constipation.
External application of beet tops is useful for:
- headaches and conjunctivitis. Fresh leaves should be finely chopped and applied to the forehead or eyelids for 15-20 minutes,
- skin pigmentation and freckles. The tops should be crushed to the consistency of gruel and apply this mask on the face for 30 minutes,
- cracks and wounds of feet. For compresses of fresh stems and leaves are prepared homogeneous gruel, and for the trays use a decoction.
Eat vegetable tops can not be in inflammatory diseases of the stomach, intestines, kidneys, liver. Also contraindicated is urolithiasis. It is important to observe moderation, otherwise it is possible to provoke the appearance of heartburn, intestinal disorders.
The benefits and harm of beet tops
Beet tops, due to their beneficial properties, are used in the treatment of various diseases such as migraine, conjunctivitis, or mastitis. Substances and vitamins that make up it have a beneficial effect on the body. They successfully use tops and in cosmetology: it helps to remove freckles, and also perfectly fights dry skin.
Recipes based on young tops are used not only in cosmetology and medicine, but also in cooking. However, before eating this product in food is recommended to consult with your doctor, as there are contraindications.
Useful substances that are part of beet tops have a positive effect on many body systems:
- 1. Vitamin C helps to maintain immunity, improve body tone, positively affects the cardiovascular system.
- 2. Vitamin A helps to improve vision, general rejuvenation of the body, stimulates the quality of the digestive tract.
- 3. Vitamins B1, B2, B6, B9 normalize metabolism, strengthen the nervous system, improve the functioning of the heart muscle.
- 4. Nicotinic acid promotes hemoglobin synthesis, fights cholesterol, normalizes hormones.
- 5. Vitamin U struggles with the deposition of fat in the liver, has a positive effect on the gastric mucosa and maintains the level of gastric acidity in normal conditions.
- 6. Flavonoids contained in the botve, prevent the development of cancer.
The green part of the leaves contains potassium, which regulates the water-salt balance.
Low sugar content makes the tops useful for diabetes, and low calorie (28 kcal) helps to keep slim.
The high content of micro and macro elements (magnesium, copper, iron, zinc, manganese) contributes to the overall strengthening of the body, increase the level of oxygen in the blood, improves the functioning of the liver and heart.
Due to the impressive list of beneficial properties of beet tops, a person has found the use of root leaves in many areas of his life.
With the help of beet tops, many girls and women remove freckles. To do this, mashed leaves crushed to the state must be mixed with baking soda and applied to the skin for 10 minutes. Next, the mask should be washed off with warm water and lubricate the skin with a nourishing cream. Beet pulp gruel can also be used to lighten pigment spots.
In folk medicine, beet tops have been used for a long time as in cooking:
- 1. Helps relieve long, debilitating headaches and migraines. To relieve pain, leaves should be very carefully kneaded to a state of homogeneous gruel, and then applied to the temples and forehead for 15-20 minutes.
- 2. Has a good effect in the treatment of mastitis. To do this, crush the leaves to complete uniformity and apply to the seals in the chest for 30-40 minutes once a day.
- 3. Helps to overcome constipation. In order to cure constipation, you need to put in a glass 1 tbsp. l cut leaves, pour boiling water over them and insist for an hour. Then you need to drain the liquid and drink a quarter glass before eating.
- 4. Helps with conjunctivitis. For the treatment of conjunctivitis should be applied to the pulp of the leaves to the eyelids for 10-15 minutes. The procedure is recommended several times a day until complete recovery.
For healing and cleansing the body apply enzyme drinks with beet leaves:
- 1. On 3 liters of whey or water you need to put a glass of shredded foliage and a glass of sugar.
- 2. Then, within 2 weeks it is necessary to let the cocktail brew and ferment.
- 3. Take a cocktail to a glass a day before meals.
You can also add liquid to the jar and add sugar to continue fermentation. You can drink this drink all the time.
Ever since the days of ancient Russia, beet tops have been made to make pies and pies, cutlets. Salads using leaves are a dietary dish, and for dressing they use sour cream, yogurt, various types of vegetable oil. Harvesting leaves for the future makes it possible to improve the taste of borscht and soups in winter.
The famous cold soup from beet tops (beetroot) can replace in the summer heat okroshka. To prepare beetroot soup you need:
- 1. Cut the leaves from the tops and scald them with boiling water. Red petioles cut and put in a pot of water. Boil together with potatoes, cut into strips according to the size of the petioles.
- 2. To rub beets and carrots, fry separately in vegetable oil. Add to soup. To cool.
- 3. Cut into long slices cucumber, radish, boiled low-fat sausage.
- 4. Put everything in the pan, check for salinity. Put in the fridge for infusion and cooling.
When serving, you can add quarters of boiled eggs, sour cream and beet leaves prepared in advance.
Beet leaves are not stored for a long time - in 3-5 days they lose their taste, wither and deteriorate. Therefore, there is better tops from the garden. However, it is possible to preserve the beneficial properties of the topper, if properly prepare it for the winter. Traditional methods of harvesting is drying and pickling. Now the tops are also pickled, canned and frozen.
Drying of beet leaves can be carried out naturally in a room or in ovens at a temperature not higher than 60 ° C. Harvested in this way, the leaves can be used for medicinal purposes in the winter, when there is no fresh tops. Dried leaves are stored in a tightly closed container.
Plant well retains useful and taste properties when frozen. The leaves are washed, dried well and put in freezers. Harvested in this way can be used not only for food, but also for compresses.
Despite all the benefits of beet tops, there are several groups of people who are often contraindicated in the use of this product. In order not to harm the health, should take into account some contraindications. It is not recommended to use tops:
- people prone to diarrhea and hemorrhoids, due to the pronounced laxative effect
- hypotensive because it lowers blood pressure
- patients with inflammation of the kidneys and urolithiasis,
- People with a diseased liver and gout.
The greatest benefit is brought by the leaves of young beets, collected directly from the garden. However, before using tops, it is advisable to consult a doctor.
When to use beet tops
The above-ground part of the beet is used in the season, not harvesting for the winter. Because of its rich composition, the tops can become a loyal assistant in the fight against a number of diseases. Folk healers have long used this natural remedy for treatment.
Regular throughout the season, adding to your diet of tops has a fortifying effect on the body and raises immunity in the run-up to the autumn and winter period of the flu and cold. At the same time, this will significantly reduce seasonal depressions.
The plant leaf to an even greater extent than the root itself has a mild laxative effect and establishes proper digestion. In addition, the leaves help to remove toxins from the intestines and toxins, thereby cleansing the body.
It promotes beet tops and accelerates metabolic processes in the body and, as a result, reduces excess weight. In the process of fighting for a slim figure, this tool will be very useful.
The rejuvenating properties of tops prevent early aging of all body systems, as well as the skin. Those who want to have a fresh look and feel great should remember to use tops.
For children, beet tops are necessary as a means of stimulating the growth of bone and muscle tissue. The aerial part of a plant containing a large amount of vitamins in its composition is very important for a growing and developing organism.
Beneficial effect of beet tops on the cardiovascular system. It strengthens the heart muscle and makes the walls of blood vessels more durable and elastic. In addition, the consumption of tops contributes to the resorption of blood clots and cholesterol plaques.
Contraindications to the use of beet tops
There are no categorical restrictions on the use of beet tops, but there are those who do not want to use it. So, with a tendency to upset stomachs, tops can aggravate the situation, acting as a laxative. In various liver diseases, beet leaves will not be useful, since, by accelerating metabolic processes, they increase the load on the organ.
Inflammations of the genitourinary system also require particularly careful approach to the use of beet tops. With gout, if you use leaves in large quantities, an exacerbation of the disease can occur. В случае пониженного давления также следует воздержаться от продукта или использовать его в небольших дозах.
Полный отказ необходим только в случае аллергической реакции.
Рецепт для устранения запоров
На одну столовую ложку свежих мелконарезанных листьев корнеплода требуется стакан крутого кипятка. After pouring, the medicine is infused for an hour. Separated infusion consumed a quarter cup before meals four times a day. The duration of treatment depends on the severity of the disease and can last up to one and a half months.
With this familiar to many women the nuisance of beet tops helps to cope quickly and efficiently. Root leaves are kneaded in an enamel pot to obtain a slurry, which is applied to the seals. The duration of the procedure is forty minutes. It is repeated daily until the complete elimination of the disease.
Such a problem with the feet is widespread. Besides the fact that natoptyshs and cracks spoil the appearance of the legs, they are also the gateway for infections that cause various inflammations and fungus. To restore the health of the feet, the affected areas are rubbed over with beet juice at night or night compresses are made from crushed leaves. The duration of treatment depends on the rate of healing.
Beet tops - a particularly valuable plant product, which is often undeservedly considered vegetable waste. In fact, having the richest composition, it can bring tangible benefits to a person and raise the body's defenses before the coming winter.