Caring for plants in the house, working in the garden for lovers of the green world is not easy work, but not without pleasure. Especially when you see the results of your work. It's a shame when a plant suddenly starts to turn yellow, becomes covered with nasty points, or even completely fades. A thin web appears at the top or over the entire height. Sympathize - you got a spider mite. Look for an effective remedy for spider mites, and immediately, otherwise the harvest will be gone! Under room conditions, ticks very actively and quickly move from leaf to leaf, from one plant to another. Delay in action threatens to infect all plants in the apartment.
Meet: spider mite
Small, from 0.3 to 0.5 mm in size, it’s almost impossible to see a bug with the naked eye, and all the more so with its eggs. Rather, the damage caused by it is immediately visible. The spider mite, despite its name, is not related to the discharge of ticks. This is not an insect, but a spider. This information is important to determine the effective remedy for the spider mite.
The color of bugs varies from green to brownish-brown or red in winter. The body is rounded and covered with setae. Spider mites on the underside of plants are hiding, and it is difficult to notice them due to their tiny size. A remedy for spider mites begins to look when the leaves are already covered with brown or white dots. Virtually destroy this pest completely and forever is very difficult. Ticks have greater vitality and, when adverse conditions occur, cease to spoil the plant, but do not die. They can withstand a long period of famine, hibernating in anticipation of better times.
Optimal habitat conditions
The unique adaptability to habitat and weather conditions makes it possible to live a spider mite throughout the entire globe, except Antarctica. Optimum conditions: temperature 20 - 30 degrees Celsius, air humidity - 35-55%. The active stage of pest activity and reproduction begins in the open air in June. In early August, ticks begin to hibernate. It is the active period favorable for spraying plants. It is necessary to use folk remedies for spider mites. Very high summer temperatures, high humidity, the onset of cold weather stop the active phase of activity, the insects hibernate, hide in the soil, in the cracks of buildings, under the remnants of plants.
In the house, the mites crawl under the baseboards, on the ceiling, in the cracks in the window sills. The remedy for spider mites during this period is difficult to apply, since the spiders themselves are not visible, and they also sleep in their places of activity, and they don’t eat. Visually, it seems that everything is in order, but the tick is just waiting for a favorable period.
Mite larvae and adults are transferred by humans, animals, on the web. Yes, and they crawl quickly. In good conditions, eggs are kept in a viable state for up to 5 years.
The tiny sizes are compensated by the number. Spider mites live in colonies, for a year they can produce from 12 to 20 generations. And everything, starting with the larvae, eat much more than its size. The larvae and adults feed on vegetable juice, which is mined by piercing a leaf. Numerous places of bites - these are the very white small dots. The affected leaf loses chlorophyll, the process of photosynthesis is disturbed. In addition, due to the destruction of the shell, the cell loses moisture, the sheet begins to dry. The dead cells merge into one yellow spot, then the stem, the flowers are damaged, the tip - and the plant dies.
In parallel with the main damage, spider mites are carriers of various harmful bacteria and pathogens. A remedy for spider mites is more effective at the beginning of infection. The plant, which is already covered with cobwebs, is late and difficult to save. In addition to the main damage, ticks are carriers of various viruses and harmful bacteria, which also cause side diseases.
Whether in the garden, in the garden.
Omnivorous parasite does not disdain anything, almost all plants of the garden and garden can be attacked. The most favorite mite garden plant - cucumbers. In addition to them, the pest most often affects gourds, eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, rhubarb, soybeans, beans, spinach, beets. In the garden - grapes, pears, cherries, apples, mulberries, aronia, berry and ornamental shrubs, flowers. Easily settles on weeds - swan, nettle, convolvulus. This is another reason to carefully weed the beds. Any familiar remedy for spider mites on cucumbers is suitable for saving and other plants.
Methods of dealing with this scourge are not limited to the use of chemicals. Also used folk remedies for spider mites, physical destruction and biological intervention. Spider mite in our strip has many varieties, but some of them are especially dangerous for the kitchen garden. This needs to be known in order to determine the best remedy for spider mites for a certain group of plants, and apply it at the most appropriate time.
- Apple and plum strikes a red fruit mite. Winters on the upper parts of the branches, dried fruits. The optimal time of destruction - during the blooming of the kidneys. A tick is a period of awakening and laying eggs.
- Rosaceous trees and shrubs particularly like haw mites. The best time to apply a spider mite remedy is the period of flowering or immediately after it.
- Most crops in the beds are affected by a common spider mite, which leads an active lifestyle throughout the summer period. It is he who inflicts damage on our favorite cucumbers. Folk remedies for spider mite on cucumbers use more appropriate than to handle chemistry. Why poison yourself?
- Currant kidney mite acts in the currant. It differs from its fellow smallest size. It is difficult to see it even with a strong magnifying glass, so damage to the leaves and buds is taken for signs of other diseases, therefore, it is treated incorrectly. Meanwhile, currants will save any remedy against spider mites, applied during the period of blooming buds, when the parasites are released.
What to do if a spider mite starts up in an apartment? Means of struggle
For an indoor green corner, a tick is no less dangerous an enemy than for a vegetable garden. As well as on the beds, in the vases the parasite affects almost all species. The category "almost" includes senpolias, streptocarpus, gersenii, Uzumbar violets. In contrast to them, dracaenas, dieffenbachia, indoor roses, maranths, citrus fruits, balsam are a favorite tick delicacy. The best remedy for spider mites on houseplants is keeping them under conditions that the parasite does not tolerate. Regular watering, spraying, adequate lighting - prevention of tick infestation.
The problem with some indoor species is that spraying is not appropriate for them. And how to deal with spider mites - folk remedies or insecticides in this case? There is a way out: tampons impregnated with a preparation of onions or garlic, decoction of herbs are put into pots with affected plants. The plant is covered for several days with a plastic bag to increase the concentration of fumes.
If this attack started in the apartment, disinfect the entire sill, preventive treatment of healthy plants. In some cases, you may have to sacrifice one, the most diseased flower, in order to save the rest. Ticks spread very quickly and hide well when adverse conditions occur.
This concept means, first of all, the creation of favorable conditions for the development of plants: watering, destruction of weeds. For indoor plants, the content temperature is important.
The first single affected plants must be removed immediately. Torn spoiled sheets or shoots destroy, do not just leave on the ground - this is a hotbed for future generations of the pest.
Houseplants would be good to irradiate with ultraviolet light: it slows down the reproduction of the parasite.
For each predator to be predator terrible. Thus, for a spider mite, the bug is a phytoseiulus. Artificial colonization of plants by this insect allows the parasite to be destroyed by strangers, so to speak, with its teeth. Disadvantage: the use of this method is possible only in greenhouses.
To combat the tick created biological products: "Akarin", "Bitoxibacillin", "Fitoverm". How to apply them correctly?
- "Akarin" diluted in a ratio of 2 ml of the drug per liter of water.
- Bitoxibacillin - 80-100 g per 10 liters of water. The disadvantage of this drug is that it can cause allergies when in contact with treated plants.
Both solutions are used throughout the growing season every 15 to 17 days.
- "Fitoverm" is diluted in the amount of 10 ml per 10 l of water. Processing is carried out every 7-10 or 14-20 days. The treatment period depends on the age and size of the plant.
Another common drawback of biological agents is that they act exclusively on adults. Eggs and larvae are not affected. The processing period depends on this: for each generation - a new portion.
Pesticides clofentezin and flufensin belong to the hormonal group. They do not destroy all individuals at once, but sterilize the uterus. The effect of their use is long lasting, but becomes noticeable after a few days. Some individuals are dying out, while others do not appear. If you need to destroy the tick urgently, you can mix this drug with any of the biologics.
Advantages and disadvantages of "chemistry"
What you need to know about the use of drugs of the chemical industry in the fight against spider mites?
- Once again: spider mite - arachnoid. Most common insect repellents do not affect it.
- To combat this parasite, intestinal and contact acaricides are used. Some have an antibacterial effect.
- Acaricides are sulfuric and phosphoric. A spider mite has a detrimental ability to adapt and produce an antidote against any of them. Therefore, applying repeatedly, alternate preparations.
- The main thing is to start processing as soon as possible after the detection of the first signs of damage. A web that will appear later has a water-repellent effect. To achieve the desired result will have to increase the dose.
- Remember that acaricides are almost completely safe for human health. When working with them, follow all safety rules. Read carefully the instructions for dosage and use.
- Using phosphorus drugs in the living room, you threaten the health of all family members. If you have a problem within the apartment, think about how to get rid of the spider mite folk remedies.
- As a tip: in order not to poison the garden in vain, first treat one plant and look at the result (the time of action must be indicated in the instructions).
The fight against spider mite folk remedies
Methods proven by national experience have an effect no worse than industrial preparations. In any case, they will bring no harm to either man or animal. Ingredients for solutions - the most simple and affordable. Not only indoor plants, but also the inhabitants of the beds, especially cucumbers, are subject to processing with folk remedies.
- At the first signs of disease, make a cold shower for the plant every day. It is suitable for those species that do not mind such a procedure.
- You can use laundry soap or dishwashing detergent - wash leaves, stalks, pot, window sill well.
- Grind about 150 g of peeled garlic in any way, add 1 liter of water and leave for 5-7 hours. The resulting concentrate is diluted in a ratio of 5 ml / 1 l of water, used for processing plants.
- Like garlic, onion extract is prepared, only it is used without dilution. Garlic cloves, onion slices can be put in the pot, if the houseplant does not like spraying. Cover the pot with a plastic bag.
- From the roots of dandelion medicinal prepare infusion: 20 g of roots per 1 liter of water. Water to take warm. You can apply in a couple of hours.
- To treat contaminated sites of hard leaf plants can be swab dipped in medical alcohol. This should be done carefully and quickly so as not to burn the leaves.
- Cyclamen. Boil several tubers of this plant for 40 minutes. A day later, the decoction is ready for use.
- Yarrow. Kilogram dried herbs pour a bucket of boiling water. After 3-4 days in the filtered infusion add 3 tbsp. spoons of grated soap.
- Tar soap. Proportion: 10 g per liter of water.
- Turpentine. A pot of turpentine is placed near the affected houseplant and cover them with a plastic bag for several hours.
As you can see, there are many methods of combating the parasite, for different needs and possibilities. Still, the best way to preserve green space is to prevent the enemy from entering its territory. For prophylactic purposes, several rules should be followed.
- Timely destruction of weeds in beds and around greenhouses, greenhouses.
- Ensure sufficient watering.
- It is good to fertilize plants - they are more resilient to disease and infection.
- Clean the garden in the fall, dig deep the ground.
- Plants should be kept in optimal conditions: excessive dryness, like excessive moisture, is a favorable environment for spider mites.
- On broadleaf plants, regularly wipe the dust with a damp, clean cloth, periodically indulge the indoor garden with rain from the shower (except for those to whom it is harmful).
- Withered flowers, dried leaves, remove on time. This is not only disease prevention, but also a way to prolong the flowering period.
- There is a good tool for preventing the appearance of spider mites - a few drops of tree oil added to the water for spraying.
- All healing folk methods aimed at the destruction of the pest, in smaller doses can be used for prophylactic treatment. Do not want to lose your favorite home plants or the crop of cucumbers - process them occasionally harmless to people infusion.
Spider mite - common symptoms
On the room flowers, the leaves began to turn yellow, which after drying and falling. You might think that this is insufficient watering or the wrong temperature in the room. But it could be a spider mite. To make sure and get the facts - turn the leaf of any flower and see what happens under it. If you see dark dots in clots or scattered all over the plane, then take a magnifying glass and take a close look. With a small wand, try to move these lumps - move? So, these are the pests with which you have to wage an active struggle to ensure the normal development of indoor plants. Look at the following photo, where this beast is depicted:
Where can spider mite come from
- From the shop. Having bought a new flower, place it on a separate window sill or in another room where there will be no other plants. Soak it there for two weeks, check for the absence of obvious signs of a pest - and only then can you put it on to the rest.
- Out of the street. A tick can get to the flowers if you live in the private sector or on the first floors of a skyscraper. If there are trees near the windows, or the plants are taken out into the street in a warm season, this is the most common occurrence of spider pests.
- In flats, at the height of the heating period, female ticks can lie in the ground for the period of hibernation. But if the conditions for their living are dramatically improved (heat and dryness appear), they will begin to amaze the leaves of plants and reproduce with pleasure.
What is a spider mite and how does it reproduce? The life cycle of spider mites.
A spider mite is a small insect whose size does not exceed 0.5 mm. It is very difficult to notice on a plant because with a small number of individuals - they rarely give themselves off, because they are very small and sit on the opposite side of the leaf. And even if we notice some dark grains, we most likely blame it on inaccurate watering and hitting the grains of sand on the sheet. As a rule, the characteristic appearance of a spider web means only one thing - ticks have become too many and must be dealt with immediately.
The tick reproduces very quickly: under favorable conditions, the female lays up to 250-300 eggs in 2-3 weeks, after that she dies. Favorable conditions for the development of spider mites are dry and high temperature. The development cycle of spider mite includes such stages as: egg, larva, protonimph, deuteronith (in females), adult. As a rule, from the very first stage (egg) to an adult individual, it takes from 10 to 20 days, all other things being equal. So how does a tick harm a plant?
Чем паутинный клещ вреден растению?
Паутинный клещ — живое существо, ему свойственно не только размножаться, но и питаться. What feeds spider mite? Quite simply, he feeds on the sap of the plant, piercing the leaf with the proboscis and sending enzymes into it that destroy the chloroplasts of the cells.
As a result, the leaf is covered with brown dots, which soon merge into one large area, then the leaf dries and falls off. From all this, an unequivocal conclusion can be made that the plant ultimately loses the leaves and dies. And mites safely migrate to another neighboring plant.
How to understand that the plant is infected with a spider mite? Symptoms of spider mite.
Let's look at the so-called symptoms of spider mite infection. Unfortunately, the primary symptoms are nonspecific, so the tick is already detected when an obvious cobweb appears.
- The appearance of brown spots on the leaves, as if the leaves were pierced with a thin needle.
- The presence of the plant withering leaves, bud fall.
- Slowing the development of the plant and its growth.
- Black or red dots on the back of leaves that move.
- Spiderweb covering the parts of the plant and the reverse side of the leaves.
- The accumulation of individuals on the web (with a huge population).
How to treat a plant for spider mites? Means to combat spider mites.
Of course, there are a large number of drugs that guarantee almost complete disposal of the spider mite - these are the so-called acaricides and insectoacaricides. At once I will make a reservation that they are effective not only against ticks, but also against other insect pests.
These drugs are both chemical (for example, Actellic and Fufanon) and biological (for example, Fitoverm and Akarin). Chemical and biological products have different active substances, but the principle of action is the same.
Both drugs are used three times, with a break of 5-10 days, because, during primary processing, the poison kills adults, but the eggs are resistant to the substance and eventually hatch from the eggs and continue to exist on the plant.
But what to do, because we are talking about indoor plants, how then to process the plants, if the tick on them is still wound up?
Fighting spider mite in the apartment.
Since I try to write absolutely objective articles, it should be said that many gardeners used chemical preparations in the apartment. For example, in the summer, on the balcony or loggia, which was then aired, and in the winter, in the bathroom, which was locked for the night to prevent contact with fumes of poisons. But consider the fact that when spraying plants, poison will inevitably fall on the walls, hygiene items, clothing. Yes, and the whole night the bathroom will be unavailable to you, but if it is combined with you and you live not alone in the apartment? Balcony or loggia, at least you can ventilate without problems, but with a bath in this case is much more difficult.
For me personally, this is not an option, since I do not want my family to suffer from my manipulations, and I have only one health. But with all this, I love my collection too much and it was not my plan to give up.
Therefore, I have prepared for myself such an action plan, which, in my opinion, is not inferior in efficiency to chemical treatment, but it is absolutely safe for health.
Folk remedies in the fight against spider mites. My processing scheme.
Spider mite: pest description
The spider mite is a representative of the arachnid class. It is resistant to the effects of insecticide preparations, chemicals from a common mite hardly have an effect on a spider mite. The pest is red, yellow or orange. Spider's web is one of most common pests garden and vegetable garden.
A cobweb is a very small mite, a small insect, having an oval shape and reaching a size of 0.4-1.0 mm. Some individuals with a good appetite can reach 2 mm. The body of the pest is covered with small setae, placed very rarely.
Pests settle on the underside of the leaf. You can determine the defeat of a plant by insects by light points on the leaf surface. After some time, they move to the upper side of the sheet. Reproduction of pests occurs when daylight is more than 14 hours and the air temperature is from 12 to 40 degrees. In harsh conditions, females hide in shelters and fall into diapauseduring which life processes in the body slow down, which allows insects to exist for a long time without food.
The female of the pest comes to life immediately after the conditions become favorable, and begins to absorb a large amount of food and reproduce. These insects do not tolerate moisture, so in the premises a favorable environment is dry air.
Spiderweb lives in gardens and in gardens, but can easily get into the room — it can fly in with a gust of wind through an open window. Spider mite in this case is placed on the room flowers and feeds on them. Also, a flower mite can appear in the house on a bouquet of flowers or with a ground for planting, and the question arises: how to get rid of it. If the spider mite appeared on indoor plants, you need to know how to deal with it correctly.
What harm to plants can cause spider mites, signs of a pest?
The most common types are common and red spider mite. Normal damages flowers, fruit, ornamental and vegetable crops. Cellular sap is the insect's favorite food. They pierce the surface of the leaves and infect the flora, sucking the juice and disrupting the structural integrity - the leaves dry out and crumble. Since the insect is very small, it is difficult to detect it. A sign that the plant is sick is web. If insects accumulate in large numbers on the leaves, light spots are found that form large white areas and increase in size.
On an infected flower, leaves and buds fall, flowering stops. Most often you can find spider mites on a rose or chrysanthemum.
In the affected leaf, the intensity of photosynthesis slows down, this makes the flower painful and susceptible to infectious diseases. The pest itself is a distributor of infections: gray mold, viral diseases.
How to deal with spider mite
Let's look at how to deal with a spider mite.
After the spider mite has appeared on plants, it is necessary to immediately begin to combat it.
To begin with, treat the plant with a solution of detergent or laundry soap. Use warm solution. If you use this method, you will not get rid of the pest completely, but you will be able to destroy a significant part. If the cobweb appeared on single colors, they need to be removed. The fight against spider mites on indoor plants is primarily correct watering, after which you should cover the plants with plastic bags for three days.
Chemical methods of struggle, how to get rid of spider mites with drugs
To get rid of the pest completely, spray the leaves. To do this, use phosphorus or sulfur preparations. Sulfur and phosphate preparations from spider mites need to alternate.
The following substances are also effective in fighting insects:
These high-quality drugs are able to effectively destroy the pest. It is required to spray the plantings several times with a break of a couple of weeks, since insecticides cannot kill insect eggs, it is necessary to wait until new pests are born.
Means "Fitoverm" can destroy pests even indoors, because the drug has low toxicity. Keep in mind the means of protection: wash hands thoroughly after handling, change clothes.
The drug "Aktellik" - an even more effective remedy for pests. It is much more toxic and kills insects almost immediately. "Actellic" is recommended when other means no longer help, with a massive defeat of plants. Treatment with this drug is carried out only in open space, observe all precautions and keep away from pets.
Neoron destroys both adult individuals and their eggs after two treatments.
Folk methods of dealing with spider mites
If it is not possible to purchase a chemical remedy for pests, use folk home remedies to combat ticks. Rather effective method of dealing with spider webs - dousing with cold water. Conduct dousing only if the plant is able to withstand it. Fighting a spider mite with folk remedies is possible even when the plant cannot be sprayed - you must place a jar of turpentine or finely chopped garlic next to it. A shrub with the specified means is covered with an oilcloth and left for several hours.
Garlic can also be used to make a drug that is sprayed with an infected plant. Take about 200 grams of finely chopped garlic and cover with a liter of water. Tightly close the container with the mixture and leave for 24 hours. To spray affected flowers, take only 6 grams of solution per liter of water.
In a similar way, you can make a solution of onions, which is not required to be diluted.
Very effective in the fight against insects medicinal dandelion. In finished form, this tool is sold in any pharmacy. 30 grams of dandelion roots chop and fill with a liter of water. Let the solution stand for a few hours. Strain and use for spraying. Another popular remedy is cyclamen: boil several tubers of cyclamen for about three-quarters of an hour. Cool the mixture and let it brew for several days. After that, spray the insect-infected flower. After five days, repeat the procedure.
If hard-leaved plants are affected, use regular medical alcohol. Moisten a cotton swab in it, rub the leaves with a thin layer so that the alcohol does not cause burns. Before you carry out the procedure, try the method on one sheet.
Preventive measures, how to protect plants from spider mites
Before you think about the destruction of Putin's mite, you should talk about preventing its occurrence, since it is much more difficult to remove the spider mite than to protect the plants.
The pest is viable. He experiences the most severe conditions in secluded places, and then appears again on the sheet and begins to multiply. However, you can protect the plant from the pest, if you follow simple tips on prevention.
- Need to regularly spray the flowers and wipe them with a wet sponge.
- When heating is turned on indoors, the plants should be more frequently inspected, especially room chrysanthemums and roses.
- Carefully study the flowers brought to the house and indoor plants - observe for several days, as the pest could hide in the unblown sheets.
- Before planting the soil must be etched.
A spider mite is a serious pest capable of hitting the entire landing as soon as possible. Now you can use effective remedies against spider mites - both chemical and popular, made at home.