Muscovy duck and chicks
As soon as a musk duck is 6 or 7 months old (depending on the ambient temperature), it becomes mature and is already able to start laying and hatching eggs.
It is worth noting that the indoids are sufficiently responsible layers that will quietly incubate eggs for the allotted time, which is about 30 days. Deviations in incubation periods of approximately 3-5 days up or down are not excluded.
As soon as the hen has become ready for hatching (this is manifested by the fact that it sits almost all the time), it is necessary to prepare a place for it: add straw, grass to the litter, bring food and water to the perch and drink the feathers.
A convenient nest can also be made from a small box, where a cloth of natural fibers is laid on the bottom. Around the clock, the duck will not sit, so do not be afraid if the hen departs from the nest within 24 hours for 1-1.5 hours.
Be sure to ensure that all eggs are covered with a bird and the embryos are not frozen. Otherwise, these eggs will have to be removed and kept in an incubator.
Distribution of duck productivity by months
Duck egg production is uneven, depending on the age of the bird. The way in which the egg production changes, is illustrated in the table below:
Age of ducks (months)
Number of eggs from 1 layer
As can be seen from the table, musk ducks reach maximum egg production at the end of the first year of life, after which their productive capacity decreases.
These data are necessary for poultry farmers for many calculations:
- Plan the number of expected offspring,
- Regulation of herd numbers
- Calculating places in the incubator in case all of the eggs cannot be hatched,
- The ability to lay eggs from another duck under a hen,
- Planning the sale of eggs or their use in food.
How to increase egg production?
Even not so whimsical musk ducks require compliance with certain rules of maintenance, so that their egg production is at a sufficiently high level.
- Indo-outs increase the number of laid eggs from about the time when daylight reaches about 13 hours a day. Therefore, the peak of egg production occurs in spring and summer-autumn period.
- Muscovy ducks do not like relocation and change of environment. In order to avoid stress in the hens in the case when the relocation of the bird is indispensable, it is necessary to change the nest site 4 or 5 weeks before laying eggs.
- The number of eggs received from the duck will be large if the bird is kept in a warm room. In the cold, egg production is significantly reduced.
- Do not forget about the proper nutrition of layers. In addition to the usual diet, which includes greens, tops of root crops (beets, carrots), potato peelings, soaked barley, it is necessary to add special premixes to feed for large birds. These mixes contain special minerals and vitamins that will increase duck egg production, as well as increase the nutritional value of the eggs themselves.
- These ducks live apart from other bird species. The presence of ordinary ducks in one residential section makes indoutok nervous, which also affects the reduction of their egg production.
What is the expected increase?
Indoot eggs in the nest
The moment came when the musk duck, after 2 days of preparing themselves and their nest, began incubating eggs.
To control this process, it is necessary to check the eggs every day, marking the date on which they were placed under the duck.
Some poultry farmers are of the opinion that the ducklings hatch better and those eggs that have lain before incubation for about two weeks.
Therefore, you can select such eggs in advance and put them on the hen, not forgetting to mark them with a marker.
After the ducklings begin to hatch, they must be carefully collected and taken to a warm, lit room. On the first day they will have to be pipetted with water and chopped boiled egg, porridge.
On the 10th day the ducklings can already eat boiled potatoes independently. In the diet of ducklings you should not forget about the addition of nutrient mixtures rich in calcium and protein. After a week and a half, ducklings can be returned to their mother.
If you follow all the above tips, carefully controlling all the processes of life of indoutok (including the state of the environment, nutrition), you can get a very significant replenishment of the herd of young.
In general, for the year 1 duck may well produce about a hundred chicks. However, it is worth noting that not all eggs can be hatched properly. Also sometimes not all hatched ducks survive.
It is worth considering separately the fact that the eggs of the indoutok can be stolen or broken by rats at the hatching stage. When the hen moves away to eat or wet the feathers, the rats can destroy the nest.
For this reason, it is necessary to take care of the destruction of these rodents in advance, preferably without the use of chemicals (it is better to use traps for rats or to have a cat-rat catcher).
Breeding ducks in your backyard can be a very profitable type of household. Relatively unpretentious musk ducks will bring not only soft and warm fluff, a lot of tasty meat, but also eggs.
These 70-gram eggs can be eaten (they are even much more nutritious than chicken eggs), but ducklings can also be grown from them to expand the livestock of the duck herd or for sale to young poultry farmers.
The calm nature of these hawks will not cause concern to family members and guests, and the whole process of breeding ducks (from hatching eggs to growing ducks) will appeal to all children who will be happy to care for this poultry.
Observing all the conditions for nutrition and the development of the musk duck, you can get not only the high egg production of layers, but also additional income and joy from breeding these wonderful birds!
Egg production indoutok
Independent unpretentious to the conditions of detention. However, not enough good nutrition and violation of the norms of content affects the egg production of birds. This can lead to a delay in development, the birds will carry the first egg after the deadline. Begin to carry eggs of 6 months. At first, egg production is low.
Indoout prefer to lay eggs in the morning. After dinner, they rarely sit on the nest. Juveniles begin to sweep in late spring or early summer. If the bird has previously carried eggs, then in the new season the first egg in the nest is already found in February or March. Due to changes in the temperature regime in the house, in the light or in the diet, some farmers are trying to get the birds to rush already in early February. However, these methods are ineffective.
Egg productivity depends on the age of the birds. The maximum figure is 140 pieces per year. It is observed in indoutok, whose age - 2 years. In the first year of life, indo-outs are worse (80-90 units per year). Starting from the 3rd year of life, egg productivity falls. Each year, this figure is 85-90% from last year.
When breeding ducklings in the farm should be drake. Its maturity occurs 1-2 months later than in females. Acquire drakes worth along with the ducks. For effective reference to 1 drake should be no more than 5 indoutok.
A large egg weighing 75-80 g is used mainly for breeding ducklings. The yield of offspring and survival are more than 90%.
Season and egg production
The duck of this breed is thermophilic and needs a lot of light. In order to carry a large amount of product, it is provided with a large amount of heat and light. If the birds began to sail early, they make large clutches with a day length of 12.5 hours and high air temperatures. Such conditions arise in the July days.
Sexual maturity of indoutok comes in 6–7 months of life, some individuals may start laying eggs earlier, or later, it all depends on the habitat
Get better birds, which were born in August or the first autumn months. In winter, they will get stronger, and by the beginning of summer it will reach sexual maturity. In order to take a large number of eggs from each nest by the summer, in winter the youngsters are heavily fed, adding vitamin-mineral complexes to the diet. Also before the summer is to take care of the arrangement of the house. An insufficient number of nests or their inconvenient location will lead to a decrease in egg production. The bird will look for a more suitable place, will start to lay eggs anywhere.
Even under the most comfortable conditions for keeping eggs, egg breeds produce more eggs than meat crosses, to which the indoutrout refers. Due to the high percentage of offspring and chick survival during the season, it will be possible to increase the number of livestock by 2-3 times.
How many eggs a hens carry per year is directly dependent on its nutrition. Also on the quality of food depends on the health of future chicks. The diet should include 4 types of feed:
- Green feed. Every day the birds give green food. During the winter, they are replaced with straw cooked in the fall. It is better to give feathery alfalfa and clover. Due to the fact that they rarely appear on the site themselves, these herbs are sown purposefully. Also, livestock give young nettle and plantain leaves. Nettles better pre-pour boiling water. Turnip and carrot tops are also included in the poultry diet.
- Cereals. They make up the bulk of the diet. They are given in the composition of mash, mixed fodders prepared at home and independently. Most of the diet consists of wheat and barley. When preparing mash beans at home, add a moderate amount of liquid (water, yogurt or kefir). When feeding with wet formulations, bonding of the beak and intestinal blockage occur.
- Roots. In order for the bird to carry large testicles, it needs vitamins. Shredded roots give feathery every day. You can include in the diet of cleaning from potatoes and carrots.
- Mineral and vitamin complexes. These are feed additives that are purchased in specialized stores. Also in the yard keep containers with shell and gravel.
In addition to the usual diet, indo-sweets need to add special vitamins and minerals that will increase egg production, as well as the nutritional value of the eggs themselves.
In the morning and at lunch, wet masters give the birds feathery, in the evening - dry food. Throughout the winter, preference is given to dry food. It is desirable that there was a pond nearby. The presence of duckweed and aquatic insects, which are a delicacy for waterfowl, will help save on food and improve the overall state of the population. Not only egg production, but also meat productivity rises.
Indeodine bears eggs well. However, sometimes she, at a certain age, refuses to sit in the nest. There are those birds, which stopped rushing for unknown reasons. Often the reason that a bird refuses to sit in a nest is the presence of parasites in it. Sometimes she simply does not like the nest equipped by the owner, which is why several nests are arranged in the house, placing them in different places.
Muscovy duck does not like interventions from the person, the nest should be approached to collect food. After the maximum period of the egg production of the bird is over, and also during the time close to winter, you should not take eggs from the nest every day. They should lie for several days. Straw daily change and correct not required.
Noise - another reason that birds have thrown the nest. If they are well born before, then they continue to do it just as well after, only in another place. To find it, you will have to watch the feathered for several days. The noise makes her leave the nest even during the hatching. The decline in egg production has been observed recently before molting. During molting livestock testicles does not carry.
Not always feathered, which are well born, become good chickens. Sometimes those individuals that have rushed much worse turn out to be more caring mothers. This is explained by the fact that for all the maternal instinct is developed differently. If a caring hen was found on the farm, it is left the next year, laying eggs into the nest, laid down by other individuals, given that not every egg that the feathered bird laid is fertilized. Pre-shine it, determining whether there is an embryo or not.
Where a bigger problem will be rats. They steal the eggs, carry the infection and ruin the ducklings, for the sake of whose withdrawal everything was started. Where rats appear, ducks cease to rush after a while, start to hurt and lose weight. But the first sign of the appearance of these rodents - missing eggs.