With the onset of spring warm days added care gardeners. It is necessary to plant seeds for seedlings, water them, in a timely manner to feed, loosen the soil.
And when he sees vanishuyu seedlings realize that all the effort expended in vain. It is more useful for gardeners to find out the causes of the incident in order to avoid such phenomena in the future.
Today we will answer such questions: why do pepper seedlings die after germination? Namely, why pepper seedlings wither and fall, what to do in this case? Find out the reasons why the leaves turn yellow in the seedlings of pepper?
Pepper seedlings die, what to do?
There are many reasons for the seedlings to wither. Each should be dealt with separately in order to understand the causes and provide the required assistance. Among the main causes of loss of pepper seedlings are the following:
- Poor quality soil. It is better to take the land from the ridges on which no plants of the family of the nightshade were grown (tomatoes, eggplants, potatoes). The best precursors on the soil for planting pepper are carrots, onions, dill,
- Purchase of packed soil in non-specialized stores. There are cases of land sales after use during the season in the greenhouse, which is then dried and packaged for sale. There were remains of plants, weeds, pathogens,
- Waterlogging. This may occur due to excessively heavy irrigation, or clogged drainage holes in the tank, where the seeds are planted,
- Increased soil moisture can trigger the development of fungal seedlings (such as “black leg”). For the prevention of contamination of the soil shed solution of potassium permanganate,
- Fading seedlings can for a reason dry air, especially when grown on a windowsill located above the radiator. It is enough just to remove the box to another place
- Another reason for the withering of peppers are drafts. Care must be taken to protect them so that cold air does not enter the seedlings.
Why pepper seedlings fade, what to do? Quite often you can see such a picture. In the evening, the seedlings were in good condition, and in the morning they were all lying, as if scalded with hot water. This phenomenon is most often found in the south of Russia. Instant wilting is associated with bacterial contamination.
Why yellow seedlings of peppers?
Yellowing of pepper leaves can be caused by several reasons. The main ones are:
- Confusion or insufficient development of roots,
- Lack of nutrients
- Lack of water during irrigation,
- Fungal infection (“black leg”).
Pepper seedlings turned yellow? What to do in this case?
Root confusion and underdevelopment
This phenomenon occurs most often. when planting pepper seeds in small individual containers. The roots lacked space for development, hence the lack of nutrients in the leaves, and subsequently yellowing and falling leaves. The only thing that can help is transplanting a plant with a neat, complete unraveling of the root ball.
Lack of nutrients
Pepper leaves may turn yellow with a lack of nutrients. As they say experienced gardeners, most often yellowing due to a lack of nitrogen. For more rapid feeding use spraying solution of ammonium nitrate. In this case, the leaves will quickly receive nitrogen, but you should not hope for it only.
Fertilizing with nitrogen-containing preparations such as azogran in granules or urea will help. It will be enough to make the ground next to the plant a single granule.
Lack of water during irrigation
One of the reasons for the yellowing of pepper leaves, lack of water during irrigation. According to scientists, pepper is more than 90% water. Seedlings extremely poorly tolerate the lack of moisture, start to dry and crumble in the first place flowers and ovaries, then the leaves.
Experienced gardeners, knowing this feature, water seedlings very carefully using room temperature water. Cold water can also cause yellowing and leaf fall.
Seedlings turn yellow, dying off and shedding of leaves begins. At close inspection at ground level the waist is clearly visible. This is the so-called “black leg”. The cause of infection of the fungus that is transmitted through the soil, much less infection occurs through the planting capacity or seeds of peppers.
The fight measures are seed dressing before planting, planting package disinfection. If contamination does occur, careful selection and removal of affected plants is necessary. The processing of the remaining seedlings to hold the drug with a copper content.
Causes of leaf deformation
Many gardeners are familiar with the phenomenon of leaf deformation and twisting. This is caused by the uneven development of the vein in comparison with the fabric of the sheet. There is nothing to do. Development will level out as the seedling grows.
Much worse, when the leaves curl, become pale green, in the process of further growth occurs their drying and abscission. Missing seedlings pepper. It may be caused by a lack of potassium.
Why do the pepper seedlings fall? Leaf curling, drying can occur due to pest damage. Most often this occurs as a result of the attack of the spider mite. The leaves curl, dry, wither and crumble. When viewed from the affected leaves, it is clearly seen that they are covered with cobwebs. Leaves gnawed, dry. Of them sucked all the juices.
The most optimal way to combat spider mites is to manually collect the affected leaves, with further spraying of seedlings with the drug "Fitoverm".
The following procedures will help you to defeat pepper seedlings with spider mites, aphids and thrips:
- Weed removal and plant residues from the greenhouse,
- Deep digging or replacing soil in the greenhouse
- Alternate planting,
- Periodic inspection of seedlings and manual collection of affected leaves,
- With large lesions of seedlings apply drug treatmentdestroying ticks.
Timely preparation of the soil, taking measures to protect the seedlings with a lack of nutrients, inspection and treatment for pests will help you to grow strong seedlings, and in the future to collect a decent crop of pepper.
Causes of leaf fading
There may be several reasons for the withering of pepper leaves. This most often occurs in the following situations:
- the water balance of pepper leaves in the greenhouse was disturbed, which weakened the plant,
- A pepper in a greenhouse may be affected by one of the plant-dangerous pests or diseases (most often it is Fusarium or Verticillus),
- the soil was not well prepared for planting pepper seedlings,
- fertilizers are incorrectly used for fertilizing,
- sometimes the withering of pepper leaves is a manifestation of a biological nature and is the result of the aging of greenhouse crops.
- the formation of a bush is performed incorrectly, the rules for tying a bush onto a trellis are violated,
- The temperature in the greenhouse or greenhouse is too high and the humidity level is inappropriate.
The leaves of greenhouse pepper can not only fade under the influence of various factors, but also curl and even fall off. The reasons for this phenomenon are several.
- The most probable and harmless reason why the leaves of peppers are curled in the form of a boat are the peculiarities of plant growth in a greenhouse. The central part of the sheet is ahead in growth of the rest of the sheet plate, and the sheets are collected. The situation does not require intervention, and the sheet regains its shape independently in the process of growth.
- Sheets of peppers curl and with the defeat of a pest or disease. Some insect pest larvae thus change the appearance of the leaves in literally one day. It is especially difficult to recognize a pest parasitizing on the root system of a plant.
- If the pepper sheets in the greenhouse curl, and small specks of red color are noticeable on the leaf plate, then aphid may be suspected.
- If the sheets are curled and a thin, small spider web is noticeable on them, this means that a spider mite has appeared on the plant.
If the plant in the greenhouse does not have any visible damage, then you can try to root feed with potassium, to the introduction of which the pepper responds very well.
You may also be interested in an article in which we talk about the rules for feeding greenhouse pepper.
It is possible to carry out the correct rehabilitation measures only by determining the root cause of changes in the state of the plants. Peppers grown in greenhouses do not suffer too much from temperature and pests. You should try the following treatment options that bring a quick recovery result:
- normalize the temperature in the greenhouse or greenhouse,
- to establish control over the indicators of soil moisture and air in a closed ground,
- perform high-quality airing of the greenhouse,
- use only balanced and high-quality fertilizers for root and foliar dressings,
- regularly weeding and removing any weeds,
- if peppers are suspected to be infected with pests, spray the plants with the most effective means against a particular pest.
Specialists in the cultivation of thermophilic vegetable crops recommend carefully monitoring the condition of the plants, conducting systematic inspections of peppers in the greenhouse. At the first signs of a change in the appearance of the plant, it is important to analyze all the stages of cultivation and eliminate the errors that led to diseases of the peppers.
Prevention is considered to be a very important event, the implementation of which significantly reduces the likelihood of plant infection in the ground by pests or diseases, and also helps to correctly adjust the implementation of agricultural practices for growing peppers and caring for them.
- The process of preparing the greenhouse for the subsequent planting season is very important. It is necessary not only to carry out land decontamination on all ridges, but also very carefully to treat all greenhouse structures with special preparations for the same purpose.
- An important stage is the spring soil preparation, which consists in the introduction of a strictly defined amount of substances necessary for the nutrition of cultivated plants. It is impossible to disregard and conduct disinfection measures that can eliminate the larvae of pests and microorganisms. A strait of land in a greenhouse with a pale pink solution of potassium permanganate is considered to be very convenient and effective.
The main treatment options
Pepper when grown in a greenhouse or greenhouse sufficiently endure insignificant errors in care. However, with any visible external changes of the plant, after finding out the cause of the problems that have arisen, it is necessary to eliminate all factors unfavorable for the growth and development of greenhouse pepper in the shortest possible time:
- normalization of temperature parameters, as well as the parameters of soil moisture and air inside the greenhouse or greenhouse,
- compliance with the airing mode of the greenhouse,
- use for dressings on the basis of exclusively high-quality and balanced in composition modern complex fertilizers,
- regular removal from the greenhouse of all weed plants and their subsequent destruction,
Spraying of plants with high-quality biologically active stimulants that have a beneficial effect on the vegetation of the greenhouse plant.
- the acquisition of an exceptionally high-quality and resistant to the main diseases seed of hybrid type,
- purchase of seedlings in proven and responsible nurseries,
- compliance with all relevant type of greenhouse culture, agrotechnical techniques,
- timely and accurate loosening of the upper soil layers, which allows to improve the metabolic processes and nutrition of the root system of the cultivated culture.
Even strict adherence to all the above measures will not show proper effectiveness in the cultivation of pepper without carrying out the full amount of preventive measures.
Pepper: care features (video)
Of course, modern selection achievements allow to plant and grow the most resistant varieties and hybrids of greenhouse peppers. However, even the highest-quality seed material does not insure greenhouse crops against death if the growing technology is not followed.
We should not neglect the conduct of regular inspections of plants, and if even minor signs of pepper disease are detected, all the causes of the problem should be identified and eliminated as soon as possible.
In order not to lose the material, be sure to save it to your social network Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki, Facebook, simply by clicking on the button below:
Why do peppers curl leaves
A similar phenomenon can be observed on greenhouse or greenhouse specimens, as well as on seedlings from a window sill. Leaf plates develop poorly.
At a certain stage, the edges are folded inward, sticking up the core divided by veins. The zones between the veins appear to be convex. It seems that the growth of leaves restrain arteries. Young biomass looks lifeless, has a pale color. This process begins at the top of the stem.
According to experts, the reasons that prevent the growing season of pepper, are attacking pests and pathogens, which in the course of their livelihoods can in 24 hours change the usual shape of a leaf into a distorted boat. The greatest danger is root parasites.
Twisting leaves on pepper stalks can trigger aphids. Its appearance is accompanied by brown spots on the leaves that appear in places where insects are sucking. Leaves similar traces, drinking juice from the leaves of fibers, and spider mite. His presence on the seedlings can be recognized by the fine spiderweb on the plant, which is very clearly visible under the sunlight.
If there are no signs of vital activity of sucking parasites on it, it receives a sufficient amount of moisture and heat, no intervention is needed. To the best of growth, culture will recover on its own.
The main causes of wilting
Another trouble that gardeners often encounter when growing pepper seedlings is manifested in the loss of the green color of the leaves, as a result of which it fades and dies.
This is explained by the weakened state of the shoots, which is quite likely with water imbalance in the greenhouse. Therefore, it is very important to control the amount of moisture in the soil.
Also, the reasons may be a violation of the rules of the formation of the bush, high temperature and insufficient air humidity in the greenhouse or greenhouse.
How to cure pepper from curling and withering leaves
Deformed, lost leaves and color on the seedlings of pepper - a clear sign of gross agrotechnical errors in the process of cultivation. Greenhouse plants due to climatic conditions can forgive many mistakes, but such a reaction suggests the need for immediate intervention.
First of all, remove all diseased leaves and sterile sprouts. And also follow up:
- The level of humidity in the room. Use for this a mechanical hygrometer or an electronic moisture meter. In the greenhouse, each culture needs its own water level. For pepper, the best option is the humidity is the same as for cucumbers - at the level of 60-65%. Moreover, at the seedling stage, this indicator should start with a mark of 75%.
- The temperature in the greenhouse. With a sharp imbalance of temperature and humidity in the vegetation of plants, failures begin. To help deformed cultures to develop properly, do not allow sudden drops. Note that when the temperature rises by 5 °, the humidity level drops to 20 marks.
- Daily airing. No need to spare the seedlings, protecting from fresh air. On the contrary, it will contribute to the biochemical processes within the fibers, resulting in a strengthened root system and shrub. In the heat, ventilation will solve the problem of elevated temperature, and in the cold, open the windows in the greenhouse only during the day for a short time.
- Number of irrigations. The more water - the juicier the fruit will be. The periods of required irrigation can be determined by eye on the state of the stem and soil. Do not forget that excess moisture is a favorable environment for the development of fungal spores, and its deficiency dries out pollen. It is better to water the plants in the morning.
- The state stem in the evening. All chemical sprinkling, irrigation, sprinkling and fertilizer should be carried out in such a way that by the evening the bushes are dry.
- Topsoil. It should not be dried tight crust, weeds. Loosen the soil regularly, which contributes to the aeration of pepper roots.
- Do not forget about preventive treatments. seedlings from harmful insects and pathogens.
Preventive measures: tips and tricks
Finding out why the seedlings of pepper turn white, wither and curl the leaves, let's see what the gardener should do to save his garden bed from such a misfortune. And for this, as it turned out, not much is needed.
It is necessary to begin with careful preparation of the greenhouse in the fall. This process includes the decontamination of land and all structures of the premises. It is followed by a scrupulous selection of seeds for seedlings, if you plan to grow it yourself. In the case of purchased copies, carefully inspect each sprout, make purchases only from trusted people who value their reputation.
Be sure to pickle the upper ball from surviving larvae and microbes with a weakly concentrated solution of potassium permanganate.
When on the stalks seem on 3 leaves, it is time to carry out the first feeding. To prepare the solution in a bucket of water, 125 g of superphosphate, 50 g of urea, 30 g of potassium salt are mixed. The following feeding should be carried out with the appearance of 4 leaves. With the advent of 7-8 leaves, flower stalks begin to be laid, so the nutrition of the culture requires more attention.
But in no case should fresh manure be used as a fertilizer. It provokes a strong tillering of the pepper and falling off of the inflorescences.
Landing in the greenhouse land should take place somewhere in the middle of May for the earth to warm up.
Experienced gardeners advise to pour 2 liters of warm water on each well, then plant sprouts, tightly ramming the earth with their hands. At the end of the soil in the garden mulch peat.
Do not forget for preventive measures to inspect the stems and leaf plates of the shoots. The sooner you notice traces of the functioning of harmful insects or pathogenic microbes on them, the sooner you will begin treatment.