A plant that has gained popularity among beginners and experienced flower growers is Tradescantia. Taking care of her at home practically takes no time. It is decorative and unpretentious. All the rules and details of care are described in this article.
Description and origin
Plant of the Kommelin family. It is brought to us from America, where it grows everywhere in the form of a weed. As a indoor flower, tradescantia is unpretentious, does not require the creation of special conditions. Grown as an ampelous culture. Stems are long, knotty, juicy green color, in length reach meter and more.
Leaves from 5 to 15 cm, a different form. In most species, they are expanded at the base of the stem and covered with down. The coloring is green, motley - with strips of a white, yellow or reddish shade. Decorative value is foliage. Flowers small, inconspicuous. Bloom early in the morning, with the advent of the bright sun closes.
At least 30 plant species are known. Many are grown in apartments. The most popular are several species.
- Tradescantia Blossfeld. In the wild, it is found in Argentina. Perennial with reddish-green creeping stems. The leaves are large - up to 8 cm with whitish pubescence. The shape is elliptical, pointed to the tip. On the trunk are arranged alternately. At the tips of the shoots, in the axils of the leaves appear abundantly pubescent elongated pedicels. The flowers consist of three petals, sepal, two bracts of different sizes.
- Tradescantia white flowers. Another name is tricolor. Brought from the tropics of South America. Long creeping shoots covered with elongated ovate leaves. Color - monophonic or motley with a silver tint. Leaves without pubescence, smooth, glossy. At the top of the whip, less often from the axils of the leaves bloom inflorescences with small white flowers.
- Tradescantia river. Another name is mytolist. Brought to us from Brazil. The species is characterized by long creeping shoots of purple-red color with green spots. Small ovoid leaves are attached to the stems with short petioles. The surface of the leaves is smooth, without pubescence.
- Zebrin tradescantia. The second name is striped. The natural area of growth - deciduous forests of Mexico. Creeping shoots up to 80 cm long are covered with alternate oval leaves with a pointed point. Bottom leaves and stems are colored with a purple hue. On the upper side, the leaves are two-colored - silver and green stripes alternate. An interesting feature of the species is the silky shine of the leaves. Flowers purple, consist of three petals.
- Tradescantia colorful. Until recognition by one of the types of Tradescantia, biologists considered it a separate genus - Reo. The second name is the bedside. In appearance it resembles a miniature dragon flower. Stem is erect, not more than 40 cm. Leaves are xiphoid, green or yellow above, violet, purple or red below. As the plant grows, the lower leaves wither and fall. A characteristic palm rosette is formed at the top.
Subtleties of care
It is easy to organize care for Tradescantia at home. It adapts well to the microclimate of the apartment. Compliance with the basic rules of cultivation stimulates rapid growth and increases the decorative plants.
- Temperature. In summer, the temperature is not monitored - the flower easily adapts to real weather conditions. In winter, it can remain at room temperature. But the rest period at 8-12 ° C stimulates active growth in the spring.
- Lighting. Heliophilous flower. Variegated views provide high-grade lighting throughout the day. Varieties with solid leaves calmly endure partial shade.
- Watering. In warm weather, the flower is watered abundantly, but do not allow stagnation of water in the pot. In winter, the frequency of watering is reduced. The soil should remain slightly wet. Drying the soil can not stand.
- Humidity. It develops well in conditions of high humidity. Systematic spraying with warm water is beneficial.
- The soil. The land for the Tradescantia is neutral. The rest unpretentious to the composition of the soil. The only required component is sand.
- Feeding. Feed frequency is twice a month during the period of active growth. They make complex mineral and organic fertilizers. For variegated species, organics are not used.
- Transfer. Transplanted in the spring every 2 or 3 years. Bared shoots are pruned, gradually replacing them with new rooted cuttings.
Conditions of detention
Tradescantia home care requires special. This plant loves light. Therefore, it is necessary in a room with maximum illumination with solar and artificial lighting.
The variegated varieties are especially demanding to the conditions of illumination. From the lack of light the leaves turn pale and turn green.
But at the same time, the plant must be protected from direct sunlight. From this they can turn yellow. In summer, it is advisable to keep Tradescantia on the balcony, shading from the sun and protecting it from drafts and gusts of wind. It is also possible to plant a plant in a shaded place in a flower bed.
The temperature of indoor flowers Tradescantia prefer moderate, from 10 to 22 degrees (in winter not higher than 15). Also, they need a fairly high humidity. If the room is too dry air, the plant must be sprayed.
Tradescantia loves moisture at home, so water it needs to be plentiful and regular. A clod of earth should be constantly wet, but not wet. Stagnant water plant does not tolerate, it will cause root rot. Drying the soil in the pot for this flower is detrimental. In winter, the frequency of watering sharply reduced.
Tradescantia: description, properties
Tradescantia garden - thermophilic plant, which is known worldwide as indoor. However, some of its varieties are often grown in the garden as a decorative ornament. Garden Tradescantia is a small plant (usually not more than 0.5 m in height), presented in the form of a shrub covered with many lanceolate leaves and neat little flowers of delicate violet, white, blue or pink color.
Despite the short "life" of flowers (each "party" lives no more than 1 day), the plant is always covered with lush inflorescences that adorn it for a record long time: from late spring until the first frost.
Garden Tradescantia (most often Virginia) is successfully grown as a decorative ornament for mixboards, shady beds, reservoirs, etc.
Council When creating decorative flower arrangements, you need to consider a few points. First, it is important to maintain the ratio of the height of different plants: they should not close each other, but complement.
Tradescantia can be placed near the fence in the shade or, for example, near fresh water bodies, where it will feel just fine and complement other, less ornamental plants that live near the water.
Few are aware of the healing properties of Tradescantia, due to which this plant becomes more than just a decorative ornament. For example, it can be used in the following cases:
- For the treatment of mechanical damage to the skin. The plant has a pronounced antibacterial / hemostatic effect: you just need to attach washed and crushed leaves to the wound.
- For the treatment of colds. You can prepare the most valuable decoction from the leaves of the plant and rinse them with the nasopharynx several times a day. This will help eliminate the runny nose, cough.
- For the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases. Tradescantia is great for normalizing the work of the digestive organs and eliminating acute inflammation in the stomach.
- For the treatment of dental diseases. With the help of Tradescantia, you can cure, for example, periodontal disease: you just chew a small leaf before eating and immediately after it.
Planting and care for Tradescantia
The place for growing tradescantia must be chosen very carefully: it must be either sunny or semi-shaded (it is better to give preference to a site with a large amount of shade or near a reservoir). Soil for planting suitable only wet, nutritious (sandstone is best suited).
In order for the plant to grow strong and healthy, it is enough to follow simple rules for the care of Tradescantia:
- Watering should be regular and generous, especially if the plant is located in the sun, because from a lack of moisture and an excessive amount of heat, the plant can stop growing, stop flowering or even die.
- Top dressing should not be frequent, but it is better that they are present. For the first time it is desirable to add mineral fertilizer at the time of the first strong shoots, at the second - at the time of bud formation. This will be enough for the plant to fully develop and delight you with luxurious and long flowering. If the planting was carried out in a nutrient soil containing a large amount of clay, in the next couple of years there will be no need for dressing.
- Tradescantia doesn’t like wreckers, and the disease is not at all terrible for it, therefore no additional measures are needed to protect a young plant at the time of planting.
- Wintering is an important stage of plant care. Despite its unpretentiousness and resistance to the effects of cold, Tradescantia needs shelter during the cold season. So, before the onset of the first frost is better to cover the plant with dead foliage - this will help protect it from freezing.
- Tying is required only in cases where the flowering is too thick and lush and simply bends the plant to the ground. You can avoid such trouble by tying a bush to a wooden support.
Choosing a place for planting tradescantia in the garden
As a place for landing is best to choose a not too sunny area. Best of all for the Tradescantia, partial shade and the presence of a reservoir in the garden will do. The soil for tradescantia should be fertile, light and slightly acidic. Flowers at a plant are short-lived, therefore the shadow will be excellent options for landing and further growth.
Tradescantia in drought conditions will cease to bloom and will need constant water spraying. Such procedures are best done in the evening.
Tradescantia garden in landscape design
Garden Tradescantia is widely used in landscape design. With the help of Tradescantia, you can create very effective compositions. The plant is quite diverse, so you can pick up non-standard combinations with ferns, gravilates, swimsuit, iris or daylily. It is also planted with an anemone, geyher, marigold, low varieties of host, astilbe, cuffs, variegated sedges, medunitsami. Such plants will provide excellent support to Tradescantia, as well as their leaves / buds, which differ in color and shape, can create the finest compositions, well emphasizing only the advantages of partners.On the front, you can decorate all the geraniums, and a higher grade of Tradescantia can be adapted in the background. The bushes of this plant will look very organically near the ponds in the garden, in rockeries or, for example, right in the middle of the lawn. Tradescantia can also be grown in mixboards, rocky gardens, and in simple flower arrangements. The flower is odorless, but it is an excellent honey plant, so the more tradescantia you have in the garden, the more you can attract butterflies, which will greatly enliven the pretty landscape.
Tradescantia garden loves a wet habitat, so care for the Tradescantia and its watering should be done very carefully. In the autumn, watering the Tradescantia must be reduced.
The composition of the soil for the tradescantia:
- or you can choose a ready-made soil with good drainage.
Fertilizers based on the mineral complex are fed in March. It is necessary to take 10-30 g of fertilizer per square meter, digging into the soil at about a depth of 8 cm. Subsequent feeding should be carried out twice a month with the help of Kemira liquid fertilizer. After the peduncle has faded, it is removed, and the plant is mulched with peat and covered with lapniki.
Tradescantia bloom features
Tradescantia has a rich flowering, but the petals themselves will never be carelessly scattered throughout the garden. In the afternoon, in the afternoon, on a sunny day, or on overcast, but already towards evening, the flowers of the Tradescantia begin to curl and disappear in their seed boxes, like snails in their shells. In this way, you can observe the mystery of the birth of a seed.In their form, bells with seeds and buds that have not yet opened, resemble huge clusters. They are a complex plexus, so it is rather difficult to determine which particular “bunch” will turn into a beautiful flower with three petals the next morning. The main advantage, as mentioned earlier, is the long and continuous flowering of the garden tradescantia.
Transplantation and reproduction of garden tradescantia
If you have chosen a specific place for planting a flower, then this is even good, since Tradescantia can grow for quite a long time in one area. The bush of this plant has a compact size, so the flower does not belong to a garden aggressor.
The old plant begins to bloom badly, so once in five years the Tradescantia should be divided and rejuvenated. The best time for transplanting tradescantia is spring, when young shoots begin to appear.Tradescantia is propagated by stem cuttings, seeds, and by dividing the bush. The reproduction of tradescantia with stalks can be done very simply. It is necessary to carefully pinch off the stalk over the leaf, where it forms the medina, and put the stalk in the water. The cuttings take root quite easily in two weeks.
Seed propagation is also possible, however, as the practice of gardeners shows, the varietal characteristic of a plant may not be preserved. Tradescantia is also propagated by dividing the bush. In the spring, you should dig up a bush and gently divide it into several identical bushes, trying not to damage the roots of the plant. You can divide the bush and at the end of summer. In this way, the Tradescantia can be seated immediately to the place you need in the garden.
Combating possible diseases and pests
There are times when gardeners think about why the leaves turn yellow at Tradescantia. To determine the cause, it is necessary to regularly inspect the flower, as mites and scutes can be added to suck the sap from the plant, which will soon cause its death. Dry and yellow leaves can with low humidity.This insect reaches 4 mm in length and looks like a small plaque attached to the bottom leaf along the veins. The color is very changeable - yellow, red, brown. The leaves are covered with heels, then turn yellow and fall off. Also among the signs can be counted sticky selection from the leaves and shoots. The pest loves to eat this juice. Removal of the scutum is carried out with the help of a cloth moistened with soap or alcohol solutions. If the plant is very badly infected, then you need to treat it with Carbofos, Fufan or Aktellik. If these methods do not help, you need to prune the most affected parts of the plant.
This insect can damage quite young leaves and shoots. Of the main signs - the leaves begin to discolour and die off, and the shoots themselves become deformed. Aphid sucks cellular sap from a flower. Insect prefers to settle on buds and shoots, where it forms a dense cluster around young shoots. One of the signs are shriveled leaves and yellow spots, buds fall away. Methods of struggle: wash the tradescantia with soap and laundry detergent. If the plant is heavily infected, then it must be treated with Malathion or Actellic.
Black mushroomHe settles on top of the sheet or shoots. It has the appearance of a sooty film. The fungus is not dangerous, however, due to the appearance of the film in the plant, photosynthesis and respiration may be disturbed, and this will lead to the general weakness of the flower. Mushroom can be removed very easily with soap and water.
We give some popular methods of pest control. Aphids are disposed of by spraying tincture of crushed roots or fresh dandelion leaves. The procedure is repeated for ten days, until the aphids disappear. Flags can be removed with the help of a pyrethrum tincture or garlic.
Tradescantia flower, care for which is not too complicated, is also undemanding and the ambient temperature. It feels great in cool and warm rooms. Of course, the plant will not tolerate excessive hypothermia, so the lower temperature bar is +10 degrees. But the white flowers tradescantia also grows well at +7. In addition, the flower loves fresh air and is not afraid of drafts at all.
Location and lighting
Tradescantia unpretentious in care, feels great at any room temperature.Most of all he prefers sunny places, the leaves on such a place become whiter than a saturated color.
With a lack of sunlight, the leaves of Tradescantia may become pale, and under the conditions of the variegated Tradescantia, the stripes may disappear and the leaves will become one green. But you also need to avoid direct sunlight, it can burn delicate leaves.
Better a little pritenyat habitat of Tradescantia. The tradescantia belotsvetkovaya best tolerates heat and sunlight.
The optimum temperature necessary for comfortable growth of Tradescantia is 24-26 degrees, in the winter 10-12 degrees.
At lower winter temperatures, stretching of shoots often begins, the bush loses its decorative qualities. To restore them, it is necessary to cut, root the tops, updating the fit.
Tradescantia can easily develop in partial shade, if it is not a variegated form that will not look so impressive.
Humidity and watering
Tradescantia is considered a marsh plant, therefore it is not indifferent to frequent watering. In the summer, it is necessary to water this plant as often as possible, not allowing the land to dry out; in winter, it should be watered once every four days. Subject to the proper irrigation regime, Tradescantia will thank for abundant flowering.
The optimum value of humidity is 60%. To prevent rotting of the roots, the soil in the planting tank is periodically loosened. Together with irrigation, fertilizing twice a month with fertilizers for indoor plants. To do this, use soft, distilled water at room temperature.
Transplantation and reproduction of tradescantia
The plant after wintering needs a transplant. During the winter, the tradescantia can dry the stems, change the color, the plant can lose its attractive appearance. All this suggests that the plant must be transplanted.
Green tops should be carefully cut and put in a glass of water. Once the roots appear on the cuttings, they can be planted in the ground, where they will take root and begin to grow rapidly.
Land for planting can be purchased ready, in any flower shop. But you can prepare the land yourself: two parts of the earth and one part of sand and peat. You can also add to this mixture humus fertilizer.
In such a soil, the tradescantia will develop very quickly.
Observing the simple rules of care for Tradescantia, you can not only admire a beautiful plant, but also use its healing properties. A scientifically proven set of pharmacological qualities of a beloved plant may, at the time of arrival, help the host in the common cold, quinsy and other diseases.
The correct conditions of the content of tradescantia will ensure its full development and abundant flowering. With all its views, Tradescantia will delight you, giving a positive charge of energy and a great mood.