This technique is called texturing, although it is better known as brushing (from the English brush - brush). That it is the tool with which the tree successfully stylized antique. The essence of this method is that the extraction of "pulp". As a result, the relief surface of the sample. Almost the same thing happens with wood over time - in the process of drying, under the influence of temperature, ultraviolet radiation, humidity and a number of other factors.
For self-machining wood, brushing is one of the simplest options. But not every breed is suitable for this method of imitation of old wood. The method is called texturing, because the main task is to achieve a pronounced relief of the material.
What is being brushed:
- larch, pine (and almost all other conifers),
Breeds that are not susceptible to mechanical aging:
- fruit trees (for example, cherry) and a number of other (expensive, exotic), less used in the decoration of apartments and houses.
Aging wood with fire
You can make a tree with a gas burner.
And here we can distinguish three main ways:
1. Aging without prior machining of wood. That is, we simply emphasize the texture of wood burning it. Then we go through fine sandpaper and lacquer.
2. First, the mechanical processing of wood is carried out - we remove the soft fibers, and then we carry out the firing. This method will give the tree a relief and three-dimensional look that will certainly look gorgeous.
3. Intense wood firing, which will allow to burn out the soft fibers of wood and subsequent machining with a stiff brush.
Finally, I want to give some tips:
- Older products from old boards will look more beautiful and effective. If you do not have such material, ask around your neighbors or friends, often this material can be obtained completely free of charge, and it will be much easier to work with it.
- Different wood species will grow old and painted differently when using the same materials. This must be considered when collecting wooden structures.
- Now in the shops you can buy a finished old board without performing the above described operations.
The effect of aging is achieved by complex processing of lumber. This technique is carried out in several stages:
- Initially burn the surface of the board with a gas torch. This action will help to clean it of soft light fibers and show the pattern, cracks and knots.
- Then, using a stiff metal brush, remove the resulting carbon. It looks like a tree after processing stiff brush
- If you wish, you can impregnate wood with wood stain. One coating will be enough to improve the expected effect.
- Open the surface with varnish. Depending on the breed of the material and its decorative qualities, you can choose colorless varnish or with coloring elements.
- Note that the use of a blowtorch during thermal aging of wood often leads to burn marks that are not amenable to leveling..
This method looks original only on deciduous species, since there are tannins in the composition of their wood. In contact with chemical reagents, they darken, due to which there is a deterioration effect.
The technology is characterized by simplicity and the presence of different variations, with which you can achieve a greater or lesser degree of aging.
Be sure to sand the surface with a piece of emery paper with a large fraction before work. And then choose the method to your taste:
- Treat the board generously with ammonia. Reacting with the material, the substance will cause a noble darkening. If we are talking about aging a certain area on the wall, you can distribute the reagent unevenly, which will increase the effect.
- Using a polymer brush, process the board so that the annual rings show through clearly. Then cover the lumber with stain and varnish it.
- Paint the polished surface with enamel paint and dry. On the dried layer apply a second paint of a more liquid consistency. Allow to dry and process some parts of the wood with an emery cloth with a fine fraction.
- Cover the tree with water-based stain. After that, partially wash off the coating in the middle zone, leaving dark edges.
Even at home, you can make fragments of decoration and antique decor, although in fact they will be completely new. In this process, it is important to show maximum imagination and effort, and then your wooden objects will look no worse than those that are for sale in antique shops.