According to the instructions for use, methylene blue is used for medical and some other purposes, for example, to create favorable conditions for fish in an aquarium. Its use is due to the ability to supply hydrogen ions, as well as a disinfecting and redox effect. Methylene blue also has an analgesic and bactericidal effect. You will learn more about its application in various fields, properties and cost from the instructions below.
What is Methylene Blue?
Synthetic antiseptic agent from the group of chemical indicators, used at once in several areas of human life: in medicine, water purification, analytical chemistry and even breeding aquarium fish. This is methylene blue (lat. Methylenum coeruleum). Analogues of the drug are other antiseptics - Chlorhexidine, Resorcinol, Furacilin, Methylviolet, Citral, Bura. The substance has other names equivalent to each other:
- methyl or methylene blue,
- methylene blue,
- methylene bleu.
Methylene blue is a dark green crystal with a bronze sheen. The main active ingredient is methylthionine chloride (from the Latin. Methylthioninium chloride), and the additional is ethanol. There are several pharmaceutical forms of the drug release:
- powder, from which an aqueous solution of methylene blue is prepared,
- 1% alcohol solution in glass vials with a volume of 10-15 ml,
- 1% solution, diluted with 25% glucose solution, in ampoules of 20 or 50 ml.
Indications for use
Initially, the methylene blue was designed to dye fabrics, such as wool, cotton, and silk. But soon this substance has found its application in other areas of human activity. As a dye, it continued to be used, only to study the morphological signs of microorganisms in smears. Pharmacodynamics of the drug even includes antidote properties to hydrogen sulfide, cyanide compounds and carbon monoxide. Blue is also used in medicine to diagnose renal function. This is due to the pharmacokinetics of the drug - it paints urine in a blue tint.
There is some evidence that medical bruising as a medicine is effective in Alzheimer's disease. The substance is used in the following cases:
- as an antiseptic for washing the affected cavities in cystitis and urethritis,
- from throat, especially with purulent tonsillitis,
- as an antidote intravenously for cyanide poisoning,
- in the case of drug methemoglobinemia,
- outwardly with burns, pyoderma, panaritium, folliculitis and other diseases of the skin,
- in stomatology for purulent-inflammatory diseases, for example, for stomatitis, gingivitis, caries and periodontitis,
- in aquarism to improve acid metabolism in the tissues of fish, the preparation of antibacterial food, processing of fry and caviar.
Methylene blue has few contraindications. The main one is the body's hypersensitivity to the drug. Do not use the substance and for the treatment of children under 1 year. In pregnancy, methylene blue is prescribed only under strict indications. During lactation, the possibility of using the drug is also discussed with the doctor. Solution is not recommended to process the mucous membranes. It can not be administered subcutaneously and intrathecally.
Instructions for use of methylene blue
Dosage and administration depends on the treatment of a particular disease. In general, the substance is used externally, inwards or intravenously. Blue from stomatitis was rarely used, as it often causes additional burns. The use of the drug has a number of side effects, such as nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, anemia and allergic reactions. When using drugs for the aquarium, it is used as follows:
- To improve the tissue respiration of fish. For 5 days, the solution is injected at 1 ml per 75 liters of water.
- For antibacterial feed. About 3 drops of the solution is diluted with water in proportions 1: 2, and then mixed with 3 g of feed. Mass well dried at natural temperature. This feed is fed fish for 10 days.
- For processing caviar. It is placed in a solution of 1 ml of the drug and 50 ml of water for 2-3 hours.
- To clean a freshwater aquarium. It is necessary to prepare a solution of 1 drop of blue in 2.5 liters of water. In small portions, this is poured into the aquarium. After 5 days, half of the water is replaced. At the end of the treatment, it is clarified using activated carbon filters.
When using externally methylene blue smear pre-cleaned affected areas of the skin. When applied, it is important to capture a small portion of the adjacent healthy tissue. For this purpose, use 1-3% alcoholic solution of the drug and cotton swabs. For urethritis or cystitis, they already take 0.02% aqueous solution for washing cavities. To do this, the blue powder is diluted with a liquid in the proportion of 1: 5000. In the same way blue is used for the throat.
Ingestion includes the use of 0.1 g of methylene blue daily, 3-4 times. This is a dosage for adults. The child should be taken with the same frequency, but in smaller proportions based on 0.005-0.01 g for each year of life. It is impossible to exceed these values, since taking in higher doses can cause inhibition of metabolic processes in organs and tissues.
Description and properties
Methylene blue belongs to the class of antiseptic substances that kill rather than inhibit harmful microflora. The active ingredient is methylthioninium chloride. Scope of damage:
- fungal infections,
- the simplest microorganisms.
Methylene blue stops inflammation, heals wounds. Blue alcohol solutions are used in various branches of medicine. The drug is a powerful antidote for poisoning with hydrogen sulfide, carbon monoxide gas, nitrites, cyanides.
Methylene blue is available in such liquid forms:
- 1% alcohol solution: 10 ml bottle with a dropper in a cardboard box.
- Aqueous solution of 1%: glass bottles with a volume of 25-100 ml.
- Blue solution 1% with glucose 25%. Available in ampoules for intravenous injection. Volume - 20-50 ml.
Attention! The concentration of methylthioninium chloride in 10 ml of the liquid substance is 100 mg.
The original blue-turquoise powder found on sale more difficult. It is practically not released today. Dry methylene blue is poorly soluble in alcohol, slightly better - in water (proportion of 1:30). After splitting dyes the liquid in a saturated blue color. Also used as a dye for textiles.
Indications and features
Methylene blue does not irritate the skin or mucous membrane, but it has a quick and lasting effect on the site of infection. According to the instructions for use, the drug is recommended for:
- rheumatism in horses and cattle,
- infectious diarrhea in goats and sheep,
- fungal infections in aquarium fish,
- any infectious ailments in poultry.
Veterinarians appreciate the effectiveness of methylene blue. He is considered the most effective in his group of drugs. Methylene blue quickly dries wet wounds and speeds up their healing. It is completely safe.
Of the minuses, people note only the specific smell and strong marzimnost means. With all the positive aspects, methylene blue should be dosed exactly in the instructions for use. Exceeding the norm in internal admission is fraught with rejection in the form of vomiting, pain in the abdomen. Also, animals may develop edema.
Dosage and recommendations for different animals
Instructions for use allows both external and internal reception of methylene blue. Regulations and recommendations for the treatment and prevention of poultry diseases:
- Wounds of any nature on the skin. Flushing the affected and adjacent areas with an alcohol solution of 1-3%. Also use powder 1-2%.
- Bursitis. Inject 2% solution on alcohol directly into the wound. Dose - 0.01 ml / kg of live weight of the bird.
- Infections of the gastrointestinal tract. To give with drink in a dosage of 1: 5000.
- Diseases of the urinary tract of an infectious nature. Washing the organs with a solution of 0.02%.
- Poisoning. To enter with injections of 0,1-0,25 ml / kg for 1 time. Use 1% aqueous solution.
- For the treatment of fish, methylene blue is not used in the general aquarium. Dye can damage its device. First, diseased individuals are deposited in a separate container. Dosage - 1 ml (20 drops) to 50 liters of water.
Preliminary instructions for use advises to prepare a concentrate: dissolve the required dose of methylene blue in 0.2 liters. The mixture is poured into the aquarium in small portions. The course lasts 5 days. After that, half of the water in the tank change clean. The algorithm is appropriate and as a preventive measure.
For other animals use liquid methylene blue 0.5-1% with drinking:
- horses and cattle - 200-600 ml,
- sheep, pigs, goats - 50-160 ml,
- dogs - 10-30 ml.
Alternative - intravenous injection of 1% solution:
- horses, cows - 100-200 ml,
- goats, pigs, sheep - 20-50 ml,
- dogs - 10-30 ml.
Methylene blue should not be considered a panacea. But organic dye is a good assistant in the treatment of many diseases, especially in combination with other medicines.
What kind of disinfectants do you use for animals?
Composition, release form, packaging
The composition of the drug includes only the active substance - methylene blue, which is presented in the form of crystalline granules (powder) blue. This drug is sold in any pharmacy. It is released without a prescription.
There are the following forms of release: 1% aqueous solution in vials of 25 and 50 ml and ampoules, alcohol solution of 10 ml, as well as dry powder.
The blue substance destroys pathogens by disinfecting the surface on which it is applied. In case of internal administration, it has a negative effect on the pathogenic flora in the gastrointestinal tract, therefore, it is used in case of poisoning. Also able to quench mild pain.
Methylene blue can be compared with a brilliant green, but the system of action itself is different. Since this substance is poorly soluble in water and alcohol, after ingestion of the bacterium “blue” causes cell dysfunction, due to which the body dies. In this case, the substance is quickly removed from the tissues of the animal, thus avoiding a negative reaction.
What helps chickens
- Disinfection and cauterization of wounds, burns, and eczema.
- Tissue treatment for urinary infections.
- As an analgesic.
- In the treatment of food poisoning.
- Treatment of fungal and bacterial diseases.
How to use methylene blue for chickens
- Treatment of damaged skin. For these purposes, 1-3% alcoholic liquor is used, which not only disinfects, but burns the wound. In the case of burns, use a 1% aqueous solution.
- Diseases of the urinary tract of an infectious nature. It is necessary to wash the inflamed canals with a 0.02% solution (2 g of dry powder are taken for 100 ml of water). The procedure is repeated until the condition of the bird improves.
- Infectious diseases of the stomach or intestines. In this case, the chicken should consume a solution of "blue", so it is important that doses are observed. In 5 l of water, 1 g of methylene blue powder is diluted, after which the bird is sealed. The treatment is carried out until complete recovery.
- Severe poisoning by poisons or other chemicals. A 1% pharmaceutical aqueous solution of the drug with glucose is used, the usual aqueous solution is not suitable for these purposes. Intravenous chicken injected with 0.2 ml of the drug per kilogram of weight. In case of severe poisoning, the dose is increased to 0.5 ml.
Shelf life and storage conditionsThe preparation in the form of a powder has no shelf life under the storage conditions. Aqueous and alcoholic solutions are suitable for 3 years from the date of issue. After the first opening the specified period is not reduced. Store tightly closed containers with powder or solution is necessary at low humidity and temperature +15. +25 ° C.
"Blueprint" is an excellent budget tool for the treatment of not only birds, but also other domestic animals, as well as humans. Do not forget that the substance is a dye, and it is difficult to remove it from some surfaces.
Traditional methods of treating chickens
Birds in household farms often drink pinkish water, on the walls of the rooms where they live, grass and twigs are hanging from branches, salt and chalk bricks are laid out on the bedding. Near the feeders tied freshly picked herbs. All this is not for beauty, just for centuries the accumulated experience is still used today. Chamomile, nettle, tansy, wormwood can help to overcome even acute infectious diseases, prevent infection of the poultry house, protect the inhabitants from the attack of blood-sicking insects.
- Potassium permanganate: the first thing that should be done immediately for babies of chickens is to add a little potassium permanganate to the drink. The solution should be slightly pinkish if the chickens are healthy. With signs of diarrhea, the concentration is increased, but be careful that the bird does not burn the esophagus.
- Onions and garlic: with signs of avitaminosis, crushed green onions, garlic, and pumpkin seeds are added to the mash beans.
- Peroxide for wounds: wounds, pecks are treated with hydrogen peroxide, brilliant green, manganese.
- If bitten by a tick: often on the body of a chicken you can find bloodsucking, which has already become a bright red color. Chickens after a bite may suffer from impaired coordination, itching, walking, pulling the head. The weakness is so strong that the birds cannot roar. Having found a chicken mite in the chicken coop, it is necessary to immediately treat the room with a disinfectant solution, provide the chicken with rest, you can force it with a pipette, and treat the wound with iodine, iodinol, green paint. The bird should be pollinated with "Sevin", special powder mixtures: ground balls of dry wormwood, tobacco chips, they are poured on the litter to disinfect.
- Against the bloodsucking there are other means. During the week it is advised to spray the walls, perches, the floor with a mixture of 1 liter of water, 4 tbsp. vegetable oil and 2 tbsp. any dishwashing detergent. Pour the solution into the sprayer, shake before use.
- If there are fleas in the chicken coops, you can hang wormwood sprigs in the corners of the hen house, the smell of which quickly drives the parasites away.
- From the problems of helping to get rid of the tincture of vodka with garlic. 0.5 liters of vodka will require 3 heads of garlic. The cloves are crushed, poured into a bottle of vodka, infused for 12 hours. With this tool, you can treat the premises in which birds live, they are sprayed and chickens to destroy lice and fleas.
Treatment of chickens with vodka
Alcoholic infusions and solutions are often used by experienced poultry farmers both as a preventive measure and for emergency treatment. Many consider vodka an indispensable tool for the treatment of birds.
- With diarrhea: make a solution of 1 part vodka and 5 parts water. Bury each bird 3-5 drops. Chickens up to 1 month, enough for 1 drop. Treatment is carried out 2 times a day for 3-5 days.
- With hard goiter, vodka is mixed with water and vegetable oil in equal quantities.
- For colds: a solution of 4 parts of water and 1 part of vodka to be poured into the beak of birds for 5-7 drops, 2 times a day for a week. Chickens up to 1 month inject 1 drop.
- For frostbite: pour in frozen chicken 1 tsp. vodka solution (1: 5). It is also good to make a vodka foot bath: lower the paws of the chicken into a container filled with vodka so that the “fingers” are hidden for 5 minutes.
- The procedure is repeated after 6 hours, then again - after 6 hours. Then for another week to drink chicken with vodka 1-2 times a day.
- Sometimes instead of vodka, infusions of medicinal herbs are used, which, according to some farmers, is more effective.
- Insist on vodka calendula, chamomile, thyme, mint, lemon balm.
Vodka treatment of chickens is not very fond of, so the poultry breeders need to be very careful: the birds are pecking, flapping their wings, and can scratch. You need to walk up to them carefully, trying not to scare, to gently sentence, soothing, to stroke the neck so that the solution will slip more easily. Males act more aggressively than females, especially adults, so if necessary, treatment is advised to act together. One person puts a bag or jacket on the rooster to press the wings and protect itself from claws and spurs, the second one carefully unclamps the beak and pours in the medicine.
It should be remembered that most poultry farmers resort to vodka as a last resort when it comes to the death of a bird.
The effectiveness of treatment is not proven by any studies, and the consequences can be tragic. Therefore, it is best to contact an experienced specialist to diagnose the disease.
Apathy, lethargy and lack of appetite can speak not about the disease, but about violations of the temperature regime, violation of feeding technologies.
Preparation of mash for chickens has its own characteristics. Read more about this in our article.
Подробная инструкция создания клеток для несушек есть здесь.
Синька, или метиленовый синий – одно из самых эффективных средств для лечения птицы. Alcohol solution of this drug is added to chickens and adult chickens in drinking water for viral infections in chickens and chickens, bacterial damage, parasitosis, in order to disinfect drinking, drinking troughs, expelling parasites.
- Blue in undiluted form is treated with wounds with pecking, tick-borne infections.
- Diseases of the legs in chickens can also be treated with methylene blue, especially if the skin on the paws is cracked, the scales exfoliate and blood is visible under them. Methylene is poured into warm water to obtain a saturated blue solution, in which the bird is “bathed”. Antiseptic fights well with fungal infections.
Many diseases are perfectly treatable with folk remedies, especially if they are added with disinfection, preventive measures and a balanced diet.
Breeders often use methylene blue to treat their pets. They share their experiences in the comments:
Anna, 35 years old, Volgograd region. We have about 10 chickens. For our family is quite enough, as they are well carried. But once with our main layer there was an accident. She landed badly, flew off the fence, cut her leg in the lower leg area on a sharp object standing next to her. At first we tried to stop the blood with hydrogen peroxide, and then we treated it with methylene blue solution. Tried to handle the sore leg every day. She healed pretty quickly.
Nikita Sergeevich, 41, Moscow Region. Not long ago, I noticed that several chickens began to fall on their feet, to sit in sawdust (they serve as my litter). Before that, the chickens were very good for me, so I guessed that they lack calcium, as it takes a lot of eggs to form. To cure chickens, he began to give them shells and chalk as a source of calcium. In addition, he began to treat them with methylene blue, pouring its solution with a syringe into the beak of each bird. After the first procedure, they became more active. A few days added blue iodine to drinking water. Gradually, all the chickens recovered. I will give more if necessary.
Maria Ivanovna, 50 years old, Rostov region. Every breeder should be aware of such a wonderful, and most importantly, budget means, such as methylene blue. Most often I use it to disinfect the chicken coop. I spray the wall with the solution, wipe the inventory. Thanks to this, my chickens are always healthy. Sometimes for the prevention of blue iodine drip and drinking water of birds.
Maxim Viktorovich, 64 years old, Astrakhan Region. He started up little chickens, but began to notice that they were not as active, and they had liquid droppings. He took several for analysis and found out that the chickens contracted coccidiosis. An experienced farmer neighbor advised me to cook blue iodine and drink them chickens. That's exactly what I did. He gave them a solution of the drug in 0.5 ml 3 times a day. So they treated about a week. At the same time, he removed fresh greens from the chicken menu. To my delight, the chickens were saved.
Andrei Petrovich, 48 years old, Krasnodar Territory. Not so long ago, I began to notice that chickens were reluctant to absorb food. Just in case, chicken droppings are carried to the laboratory for analysis. To my surprise, it turned out that my chickens became infected with worms. I heard that they can be fought with methylene blue and wormwood. First, I prepared a decoction of wormwood, boiling it for about 10 minutes, and then added blue iodine to it. Drip each chicken with 5 drops of the solution in its beak. Just in case, in the drinkers added the same composition. I treated my chickens for several days. Then again passed on the analysis of litter. More worms were not found. During treatment, the chickens gradually became more active again.
Methylene blue is an antiseptic drug with excellent digestibility that is effectively used to treat chickens. However, before using it, you should consult a veterinarian. He will evaluate the prospects for treatment, as well as help you find the right dosage based on the specific disease and condition of the chickens.
The drug has practically no contraindications, with the exception of individual intolerance, manifested in the appearance of allergic skin reactions. It is not recommended to apply the solution to the mucous membranes.
Methylene blue can be successfully used in the fight against a variety of chicken diseases.
Symptoms of diseases of chickens and the rules of their treatment
Most avian diseases are caused either by illiterate care and nutrition, or by the presence of infections that are often not treatable.
Proper chickens will keep most diseases away from the birds.
Infectious diseases of chickens and their treatment
Unfortunately, the environment contains many viruses and microbes that provoke diseases of birds. If the bird's body is weakened, it will be a tasty morsel for the growth of harmful bacteria and microbes, which, when released, begin to multiply at great speed. The main danger lies in the fact that a single flock can infect an entire herd and provoke a 100% lethal outcome.
Malicious organisms with great speed begin to multiply in the body of weakened chicken
The whole herd can get from one chicken
There are several types of contagious diseases:
- helminth and diseases caused by the harmful effects of insects.
The most common are the following diseases:
Frequently encountered Marek's disease, avian flu and Newcastle disease are not treatable.
Newcastle disease - one and many incurable chicken diseases
Newcastle disease is among the incurable diseases of chickens. What to do so that the birds do not get sick? Vaccination and prevention of Newcastle disease, quarantine.
Infectious Disease Treatment Scheme
- lethargic condition
- limited movement
- loss of appetite
- intermittent breathing
- constant thirst
- sagging belly
- lethargy crest.
- respiratory failure,
- watery eyes
- loss of appetite.
- defeat of fabrication bursa,
- extensive intramuscular hemorrhages,
- kidney damage.
- weight loss,
- inflammation of the joints.
- weight loss,
- difficulty swallowing
- red spots on the skin.
- loss of appetite,
- a sharp decrease in body weight,
- loose stools.
- growths on the abdomen.
- decreases the need for food
- drastic weight reduction
- stool with blood discharge
- comb and earrings go white and go numb.
- coughing up blood
- constantly open beak,
- fear of the light.
- weight loss,
- nasal mucus
- shortness of breath.
- lack of appetite,
- runny nose
- eye inflammation.
- loss of appetite,
- the constant need for abundant drinking,
- lag in growth.
- wheezing in the trachea,
- loss of appetite
- slower growth.
- loss of appetite,
- diarrhea green
- blue comb and earrings
- constant thirst.
Methylene blue is practically not used as a monopreparation, but in combination with other drugs it is an effective aid in the fight against ailments.
Methylene blue is not used as a single drug
Compared with infectious, fungal diseases are not so terrible. However, they should not be ignored, since they are also infectious and spread very quickly. Most of them are provoked by the lack of proper cleaning of the chicken coop.
Some fungal diseases can cause death.
Treatment of fungal diseases
- blue beak and nails
- runny nose
- diarrhea with bleeding.
Unlike aspergillosis, ringworm is not treated.
Helminthic diseases and diseases caused by the harmful effects of insects
Helminths, parasitic in the body, pose a great danger to chickens. They can settle down in the lungs, goiter or oviduct. However, most often live in the gastrointestinal tract, feeding on the internal tissues of birds, which sometimes leads to their rupture. The danger of worms lies in the fact that they poison the body with toxins.
Worms can even be found in chicken eggs.
Treatment regimen for some helminthic diseases
- weak appetite
- weight loss,
- termination of egg laying,
- intestinal blockage.
- stomach upset,
- chickens constantly sit on the tail.
- severe exhaustion
- malfunction of the upper respiratory tract,
- bleeding and death of adult chickens and young animals,
- in some cases, the death of fingers and even feet.
Bedbugs, lice, worms and fleas, Of course, not as dangerous as infectious diseases, but in some cases, if you do not start timely treatment, they can be fatal.
Helminthic diseases of chickens harm not only birds, but also the breeder, because the meat and eggs of sick chickens can not be eaten. We understand how to understand what birds have worms, and what to do when they are found.
If ticks appear in the chickens, the whole herd needs treatment.
Non-contagious diseases of chickens: symptoms and treatment
Among non-communicable diseases, the most common diseases caused by improper diet, especially avitaminosis and hypervitaminosis appear.
Avitaminosis is one of the most common diseases caused by violation of the feeding schedule.
Treatment regimen for some non-communicable diseases
- developmental lag
- weight loss,
- lack of coordination of movements,
- reduced egg production
- blurred eyes
- flaky skin.
- blue scallop
- liquid frothy yellow-green feces with a sharp unpleasant odor,
- loss of appetite,
- bowel disorder
- inflammation of the mucous membrane of the cloaca with the subsequent formation of hemorrhagic ulcers,
- drastic weight loss.
- appearance of wounds on the skin.
- the bird often cleans its beak and scratches eyes on any objects
- profuse vomiting.
Methylene blue solution is very effective in situations where chickens peck at their own kind. It is used for the treatment of wounds, and give the inside in small quantities with an insulin syringe.
Methylene Blue is effective for treating wounds after chicken fights.
How to minimize the risks of chicken diseases: preventive measures
Effectively prevent many chicken diseases can be using a number of simple manipulations. In order for the livestock to be always healthy and vigorous, they recommend:
- It is better to be engaged in breeding of layers yourself.
- Avoid buying chicks. If there is such a need, then acquire chicks only from one trusted producer.
- Buying one year old stockings significantly increases the chances of acquiring healthy stock.
- There should always be fresh air in the hen house.
- Periodic cleaning and disinfection should be carried out.
- Need to do a daily inspection of birds.
- To vaccinate in a timely manner, in accordance with the recommendations of the veterinarian.
Most harmful microorganisms die during disinfection, so it cannot be ignored. How to disinfect the chicken coop? What drugs to use?
Preventive measures - the guarantee of health and productivity of birds
Chickens belong to a small variety of animals, which is characterized by one unusual feature: after serious diseases, not the strongest individuals survive, but, on the contrary, weak representatives of the species. However, after their recovery, egg production rates of such chickens fall significantly.
To avoid such situations, you should periodically carry out preventive measures and regular disinfection. Methylene blue can be used as an antiseptic. The drug is “long-playing” and, in parallel with its sanitary functions, can have a general health effect on chickens.